Popular series cabinet card -questions

Jim-Jammi

Private
Hi all!
I was at an antique store today and came upon a case with some tintypes, and a few civil war era antiques (rare to find in western Washington). In the case was what appeared to be a cabinet card depicting the state of Vermont monument at Gettysburg, with the title of "Popular Series". It was hard to see the rest of the card as it was in a cluttered case and had no tag attached. I tried to look up more about this photo and see what others might be in this series, and I didn't really come up with anything. Can anyone help me get more info on this photo series? Also if any collectors know what the value might be I would appreciate it. I want to be prepared if I go back to get it sometime soon. Sorry I dont have a photo of the card!
Thanks,

Hi all!
I was at an antique store today and came upon a case with some tintypes, and a few civil war era antiques (rare to find in western Washington). In the case was what appeared to be a cabinet card depicting the state of Vermont monument at Gettysburg, with the title of "Popular Series". It was hard to see the rest of the card as it was in a cluttered case and had no tag attached. I tried to look up more about this photo and see what others might be in this series, and I didn't really come up with anything. Can anyone help me get more info on this photo series? Also if any collectors know what the value might be I would appreciate it. I want to be prepared if I go back to get it sometime soon. Sorry I dont have a photo of the card!
Thanks,
I do not know about the series but anything with Gettysburg adds a premium and if you collect Vermont CW items adds a premium. If it's in good condition I would consider anything under $ 25 jmho . Check out the other items that they have also. Good luck, Greg

I should add that there are 1328 monuments at Gettysburg. They also took steroscope photos for hand held viewing. And I am sure that there are CDV size also.

I should add that there are 1328 monuments at Gettysburg. They also took steroscope photos for hand held viewing. And I am sure that there are CDV size also.
Now that I think about it there was a stereoscope in the case, so I just looked up "popular series civil war" and "stereoscope" and saw a few examples. The card I saw looked like this (different image of course). Thanks for all your info though! I will go back and check it out soon!
1631645881530.png

Now that I think about it there was a stereoscope in the case, so I just looked up "popular series civil war" and "stereoscope" and saw a few examples. The card I saw looked like this (different image of course). Thanks for all your info though! I will go back and check it out soon! View attachment 414089
Now that I think about it there was a stereoscope in the case, so I just looked up "popular series civil war" and "stereoscope" and saw a few examples. The card I saw looked like this (different image of course). Thanks for all your info though! I will go back and check it out soon! View attachment 414089
I wouldn't pay more than $15 for stereoviews such as these which were more mass produced. If you collect these you may want to by a 3d effect viewer and prices for these are all over the place and you can find decent ones for less than $50. A cabinet card is 4"x6" and ( post Civil War but I have some in their uniforms Reprints or post war ??? ) but watch for these and look for veterans medals on the men pictured and check the backs for names which doubles + the price. The real fun is researching them and find out who they were and what units fought with and battles they were in. Sometimes you can find them for a buck or two. I would pay up to $20 for un id'd and more for Id'd depending on condition and subject matter ( on all photo's.) And CDV cards are 2 3/4" x 4 " which is where you will find most soldiers. I just had a knee replacement yesterday otherwise I would post examples of some of my photos . There are a lot of smart and helpful people here and you can learn a lot so keep asking questions. Happy hunting !

The "Popular Series" group of stereoviews are very often lower quality views because they were almost exclusively copy photos of earlier stereoviews. They are often called "pirated" stereoviews because there was often illegal copying of earlier stereoviews by companies.

Back