Pope

MikeyB

Sergeant
My understanding is that John Pope came very close to being captured by Confederate cavalry - he just happened to not be at his HQ at the time of the raid.

What happens if he's captured? Lee and the CSA detested Pope, but I can't imagine their Southern and professional military code of conduct would allow anything other than treatment commensurate with the status afforded w/ capturing a Union Major General. Is this just a big propaganda coup? Would he be traded pretty quickly? Does Lincoln say keep him! Actually brings up a lot of interesting scenarios because then Mac probably takes command and maybe the whole Second Manassas disaster looks very different.

mike

I think he was nearly universally detested by his own Army of Virginia as well. They probably would have wanted the Confederates to keep him ! It would have been a propaganda coup though . I think the Confederates would possibly have exchanged him because he would have been a greater benefit to them messing things up in the Union Army.

Back