• Yes

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other: state what.

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
The politics of slavery led to the creation of the Republican party. Abraham Lincoln was elected at the head of an avowedly anti-slavery party which led to secession, and thus secession led to the firing on Ft Sumter. That final action led to war. Southern soldiers by and large were not slave owners, and Northern soldier by and large were fighting to preserve the Union. But to deny slavery as the central issue which caused the separation which led to war, is to deny facts. Moreover, by 1863 every soldier on each side knew the scope of the war had changed.

And to argue about the legality of secession is pointless. Lincoln determined arbitrary secession was not, and he acted.

gunny

First Sergeant
It was just in reference to that poll that you listed that was very scientific. I thought it was interesting, and since it was a poll taken of the everyday people, I thought it might be interesting to see what the results here might be. But, I realized I didn't ask the same question your poll did, which regarded if it should be taught in school.

gunny

First Sergeant
Really? Another thread like this?

This forum is getting pretty bland from this type of thing. It is a shame.
I wasn't trying to be bland, but just trying to look at the numbers that would reflect the people that frequent this forum. Wondered if it would be significantly different than the general population.

Slavery was a cause but not THE cause (there being other important causes). At least not until the Emancipation Proclamation went into effect.
You may want to inform the secessionists because they would have disagreed with you. Their own words state outright that slavery was the reason for leaving the Union.

R

Bloemfontein, Vrystaat, Republiek van Suid-Afrika
As to question 2, "the states" did not want to preserve the Union. The government of the United States wanted to preserve the Union which was its constitutional duty. It amounted to preserving the eternal agreement on government to which all states had subscribed. Some states (most) were loyal to their pledge, their allegiance, the country to which they all belonged. Others (fewer) did not. The latter broke the law and shot at the rest. The latter chose to be rebels - in rebellion against the legally constituted government. That's why there are so many "rebel" handles here

ETA I phrased that poorly. Of course the states wanted to preserve the Union... but it wasn't a vote in each one to see if "they" did. THE government called upon THE states to meet their obligations - and they did

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)