Restricted Poll on removal of Confederate Monuments,Memorials, and Statues

Should all Confederate Monuments, Memorials, and Statues be removed?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • No

Votes: 81 97.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Ah but that's only one of a rather large number of possibilities. If the number of monuments in question = X then the number of possible multiple removal proposals would be [ X(n!)/X-1] - X

BJ
I am sure some will claim a no vote means we are against removal of the monuments. It can just as easily mean we favor removal of nearly all.

John Winn

Major
I am sure some will claim a no vote means we are against removal of the monuments. It can just as easily mean we favor removal of nearly all.

That's certainly true counselor. It's also true that being in favor of removing nearly all expresses a general agreement that monuments ought to be removed unless exceptional circumstances can be found. On the face of it it doesn't appear that such a sentiment is what the OP wished to gauge by a 'no' vote and so I'd say those holding such a view would best be served by voting yes.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
It's also true that being in favor of removing nearly all expresses a general agreement that monuments ought to be removed unless exceptional circumstances can be found. On the face of it it doesn't appear that such a sentiment is what the OP wished to gauge by a 'no' vote and so I'd say those holding such a view would best be served by voting yes.
That is simply not correct. The plain language of the question indicates that anyone favoring the removal of most statues should vote No.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
I was just about to claim just that!
A "No" vote means you are in favor of removing fewer than all the monuments. That could mean anything from "0 monuments" to "all but one."
It is meaningless.

jno

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Why not leave this question simple. Do you want them to stay or do you want them moved? I voted that they stay and I mean all of them.

In Kentucky there is debate to move statute of Jefferson Davis from the rotunda of the state capitol building. I have expressed I think it should stay with the other statues that include Abe Lincoln and Henry Clay. There is also discussion about the large obelisk at Jefferson Davis' Birthplace in Fairview, Ky. Most seem to think it should stay. People from all over the world come to see it as it is largest such obelisk to a person in the world. This site is owned by the state. The Monument was donated by private individuals, including the Daughters of the Confederacy. There is a small museum on the site. It gives all the history of Jefferson Davis' life, including when he was a Senator and part of cabinet. it has about his two wives, his children and about his time during the Mexican War. I think it should stay as is site to famous person born in Kentucky. It is not just about Civil War and his being President of the Confederacy.

John Winn

Major
That is simply not correct. The plain language of the question indicates that anyone favoring the removal of most statues should vote No.

You are correct and I said as much in my first post regarding a no vote. I think I am correct, though, in saying that one who supports removal of most monuments is, in general, in favor of removal and closer to the yes position than the no. Perhaps we should ask the OP what was intended (rather than what was written).

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Why not leave this question simple. Do you want them to stay or do you want them moved? I voted that they stay and I mean all of them.

In Kentucky there is debate to move statute of Jefferson Davis from the rotunda of the state capitol building. I have expressed I think it should stay with the other statues that include Abe Lincoln and Henry Clay. There is also discussion about the large obelisk at Jefferson Davis' Birthplace in Fairview, Ky. Most seem to think it should stay. People from all over the world come to see it as it is largest such obelisk to a person in the world. This site is owned by the state. The Monument was donated by private individuals, including the Daughters of the Confederacy. There is a small museum on the site. It gives all the history of Jefferson Davis' life, including when he was a Senator and part of cabinet. it has about his two wives, his children and about his time during the Mexican War. I think it should stay as is site to famous person born in Kentucky. It is not just about Civil War and his being President of the Confederacy.
The question is simple, but the No answer is complex. One person's No May mean don't remove any, another's may as legitimately mean remove one or twenty but not all.

NedBaldwin

Major
I'm curious as to those who see fit not to participate, what other options are you interested in seeing addressed. I'm curious as to where this middle ground is. I might be able to get their if I knew what we were discussing as compromise. As it is now the politics of the current frenzy are removal, New Orleans, Memphis, Birmingham etc. Where is the compromise of which you speak?

Compromise is not the correct term for the issue here. Compromise occurs when two sides each hoped for a more extreme position but agree to concede in order to meet in between.

The problem with this poll is what does a 'no' vote really mean? No removal at all? Some removal? Most but not quite all? the range of possibilities captured within that response is so broad as to make the poll meaningless.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
You are correct and I said as much in my first post regarding a no vote. I think I am correct, though, in saying that one who supports removal of most monuments is, in general, in favor of removal and closer to the yes position than the no. Perhaps we should ask the OP what was intended (rather than what was written).
A legitimate poll gauges the interpretations of the question by the respondents. If William were to interpret the poll question now, after dozens have voted, his interpretation would be no more valid than mine.

Al Murray

Sergeant
If removing all confederate monuments and statues would move us further towards racial equality and away from racism and hate I would support that. If I removing none of the monuments and statues would move us further towards racial equality and away from racism and hate I would support that. If removing some monuments and statues and leaving others in place would move us further towards racial equality and away from racism and hate I would support that.

Nice! "move us further towards racial equality and away from racism and hate."

I voted "no" because it seemed like the best option in a forced choice.

If removing some monuments and statues and leaving others in place would move us further towards racial equality

Had that been an option I would have voted for that.

MRB1863

Major
Forum Host
Please do not attempt to analyze my choice to "do not vote" as a vote for either extreme. I feel it is a shame that our Country's History has been reduced to a Black & White, right & wrong subject. Certainly there was much Gray in the Confederacy. So be it, and let our Nation's Citizens stand proud of their Country's precious History. It has been paid for dearly by folks from all states, all races and walks of life. Don't melt down the melting pot.

W. Richardson

Captain
Sorry William I can’t help you here. As I have said elsewere, if Southern Heritage folks keep fighting the battle they way they have always fought it, they will lose the battle for public opinion.

Your question implys it is all or nothing. For example, I have never been a fan of Nathan Forrest, so seeing his statue go would be fine by me. I would never vote to keep or remove all...

I understand your reason for non-participation, but when you remove one.........Where do you stop ? You are for the removal of NBF and I understand your reasoning, you are no big fan of his.....................And what of the one that is no big fan of.............

Robert E. Lee or JEB Stuart or The Confederate Soldier or Stonewall Jackson or Wade Hampton or the 26th NC or Patrick Cleburne or Jefferson Davis or any other Confederate monument/memorial/statue ?

After a while what do we have?

I know, you are going to say surely it will not go that far, but are you sure? You have seen the many calls for different monuments/memorials/statues to be removed already. Once one is removed will they stop ?

1st National Confederate Flag   1.jpg

Respectfully,
William

Reactions: Lee

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
I understand your reason for non-participation, but when you remove one.........Where do you stop ? You are for the removal of NBF and I understand your reasoning, you are no big fan of his.....................And what of the one that is no big fan of.............

Robert E. Lee or JEB Stuart or The Confederate Soldier or Stonewall Jackson or Wade Hampton or the 26th NC or Patrick Cleburne or Jefferson Davis or any other Confederate monument/memorial/statue ?

After a while what do we have?

I know, you are going to say surely it will not go that far, but are you sure? You have seen the many calls for different monuments/memorials/statues to be removed already. Once one is removed will they stop ?

View attachment 73804
Respectfully,
William

I've never been a believer of the slippery slope theory.

MRB1863

Major
Forum Host
IMHO there is not an option to keep each's favorite statue of memorial to a preferred individual. If someone else does not like your favorite, then you are violating their space by liking what you do.

(According to the events of the day, anyway)

W. Richardson

Captain
I'm curious as to those who see fit not to participate, what other options are you interested in seeing addressed. I'm curious as to where this middle ground is. I might be able to get their if I knew what we were discussing as compromise. As it is now the politics of the current frenzy are removal, New Orleans, Memphis, Birmingham etc. Where is the compromise of which you speak?

CW,

I've only seen one that responded to your post and it was a "No comment" response............Must not be a compromise effort or a middle ground of which they spoke of.

All I have seen is............Let's remove this monument, and that monument, and that monument over there, and this statue here, and that statue over there, and that one, and that one, let's also move some graves, and until they are removed let's deface them.

Is that the middle ground? Is that the compromise they spoke of?

Some here "show candy in the window to dress up the window, but it isn't candy they are selling inside"...................

1st National Confederate Flag   1.jpg

Respectfully,
William