Plantation Short'nin Bread

Simple is always good in cooking. As I wrote, this can be a fun recipe to make with your children or grandchildren.

My son always liked to help me cook. Now , he is the cook in the house. His wife just doesn't care about cooking. His son, my grandson, who is nine likes to help him cook. I guess the cooking is being handed down from generation to generation. I learned from my mother, who learned from her mother, who learned from her mother, and so on.
Nate, I imagine if we all thought long enough we could all come up with "new" additional stanzas to fit right in.

Last edited:
BTW, Faraway Friend, let me be the "Last" to offer cudos on your recognition as member of the month. I must've been in a time warp when your beatification was formally announced!

Thank you! I was also completely surprised by it and feel greatly honoured!

Fruits? Blasphemy! You´re taking the fun out of sugar! :wink:

Frieder, it's not either sugar OR fruit, it's sugar AND fruit (AND cream, which is the most important thing as everything gets even better with cream :D).
So you get the best of both worlds.

Thank you! I was also completely surprised by it and feel greatly honoured!

Frieder, it's not either sugar OR fruit, it's sugar AND fruit (AND cream, which is the most important thing as everything gets even better with cream :D).
So you get the best of both worlds.
Leave 'em together long enough and we might serve it at about 25 proof!

I love playing that tune but unfortunately, it is decidedly not period. Lyrics first published in 1915. Tune may have been written as early as 1900 but no earlier than that. Originated in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee. The song may not be period but certainly shortening bread is.

There are several sites that still say it is an old planation song. One is http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Shortnin'-Bread.html

It goes on to say there was a revival of the song in the golden age of radio. One who made it popular was Laurence Tibbett (1896-1960).

Also Nelson Eddy sang it in movie "Maytime", 1937.

The Gutenberg project site says lyrics originally by the American poet, James Whitcomb Riley in 1900.

See: http://sel.guthenberg.org/articles/shortin'_bread.

So seems some controversy on the history of this song.

There are several other sites that say it is racist. The origin of the song maybe debated but Short'nin Bread recipe is authentic.

I just did a Google search on shortnin bread to see what they had and wikipedia says the first written version is from the 1900's, but what is interesting the fourth reference that shows up is Donna ' s thread that we are on at Civilwartalk.you just made the big time Donna .:bounce:

Although an entirely different recipe, as a kid I remember the same tune for a song called Cracklin Bread.

http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/crackling-bread/

Crack'lin bread is basically corn bread with heavy thick-cut pork rinds added into the mix.
I think this may fall under the authentic category within the food forum. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, my shortbread just came out of the oven, and I've already burned a small spot on my tongue trying to eat it too soon.
Worth it! :thumbsup:

I had also forgotten what it was like to work with dough you can eat. :playfull:

Back