Planning the Ultimate Western Theater Tour

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
At some point, I'd like to spend a summer touring the major western battlefield sites, and I wanted to get the opinion of more experienced travelers.

Now, a basically chronological tour (February 1862-March 1865), following the Army of Tennessee would go something like this:
Fort Donelson -> Nashville -> Shiloh -> Corinth -> Perryville -> Murfreesboro -> Chickamauga -> Chattanooga -> Atlanta -> Franklin -> Nashville -> Bentonville

Now, much as I'd love to do this, I'll have to shorten this. My current plan is "December 1862-September 1864", going something like this:
Murfreesboro -> Chickamauga -> Chattanooga -> Atlanta

For Atlanta, I plan to pretty follow Sherman and Johnston's path to around the city, then tour the traces of the fortifications. About how many days should we spend at each site to properly take it in? I expect Chickamauga to take several days to explore its necks and hollers. By the way, would anyone like to help me kidnap Dave Powell? I'll need his help for that battlefield.

Last edited:
Well I would invest in some back issues of Blue and Gray Magazine. That might be a good place to start. They have a lot of information on the various battlefields/campaigns you are interested in seeing, and how to get there.

I assume hes referring to Union AoT, as CSA AoT wasn't at Donelson, Shiloh or Corinth/Iuka as well. Neither sides AoT was Perryville, it was army of ohio and army of mississippi

I live in southwest Georgia, so going all the way to Mississippi would be a bit too far.
Ok had me confused initially if following one of the two AoT or just the battles throughout the region

I've usually broken my trips up down there either E or W KY/TN/MS/GA or done N TN/KY and S TN/MS/GA

Ussually the E and W, done Nashville-Chickamauga several times and FortPillow Memphis Shiloh Vicksburg a couple as well, so far always stopped short of Atlanta

Last edited:
Back