1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Pitzer woods, Union Sharpshooters

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Erich~, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Erich~

Erich~ Private

Members : Day 2 did Wilcox make mention in any memories of the resistance of the US sharpshooters to his Confederate forces as they moved through the woods and out into the open...... I know off Berdan Lane there are two US sharpshooter monuments ?

thank you

Erich ~

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

Yes, in his official report. Other Confederate sources:

-Writings of B. G. McClelan, 10th Alabama
    -G. Clark, 11th Alabama, article in Confederate Veteran magazine, vol. 17, p. 229
    -G. Clark, A Glance Backward, p. 36
    -H. A. Herbert, 8th Alabama, Alabama Historical Quarterly, vol. 39, p. 114
    -Fleming W. Thompson, 11th Alabama
    -John Z. H. Scott, 5th Virginia Cavalry, Confederate Reminiscences and Letters, Georgia UDC, vol. 7, p. 137

Union Sources:
    -New York at Gettysburg, 3:1068, C. E. Graves, 1st USSS
    -Berdan's official report
    -Maine at Gettysburg, Third Maine Regiment, p. 129

Erich~ likes this.
  4. Erich~

Erich~ Private

am going to assume the last mention of the Confederate 5th Virginia Cavalry it is speaking of the Alabamians ? time for more research it appears.

5. Erich~

Erich~ Private

6. Tom Elmore

If you can't readily find any these sources, I will gladly post the relevant parts. Here is the Scott reference:

John Zachary Holladay Scott was left at Thoroughfare Gap and was separated from his command. He joined a party that followed the main body of the army, and Lee's staff assigned them as a lookout on the far right flank on the early morning of July 2. He wrote: "About 10 o'clock in the morning, while on our way to the field of our observation, we noted a Yankee regiment marching in line of battle through the woods, evidently making a reconnaissance. The woods in that direction are bare of undergrowth and I could see them plainly. They did not go very far before they found what they were looking for in the shape of a competent number of 'Rebels' who opened fire on them. The Yankees replied - at first still advancing, and finally at a halt - but in ten minutes they got back a little faster and not quite so orderly as they had come up." Afterwards Scott learned of the encounter between Wilcox and the Federal reconnaissance group and noted that he "always believed that this encounter was the one that I saw."

I believe it too, and although participants differ in the time of this encounter, my estimation is that the first shots were fired about 10:15 a.m. Scott was likely positioned to the west of where the encounter took place.

Erich~ likes this.
  7. Erich~

Erich~ Private

Tom would you please include Berdan's official report ?

8. Tom Elmore

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)