Pirate threats off the Pacific coast ca. 1860s

sawpatin

Private
Sorry, this isn't all strictly part of the ACW, but I haven't been able to find any other forums with a community so focused on mid-19th century history, so I hoped some folks here might know about this one. Admins please move or delete this thread if you don't think it's appropriate.

In 1870, the Battle of Boca Teacapan was fought between sailors and marines from the USS Mohican and Mexican pirates, including the crew of the pirate gunboat Forward which had been attacking US and Mexican shipping in the region. Were there any similar episodes of piracy around the North American Pacific coast during the prior decade, including during the ACW?

I'm excluding commissioned CS Navy vessels like the Shenandoah since they didn't operate privately for profit, although I'd include Confederate privateers if any of them actually made it into action in the Pacific (though afaik none did, the failed J.M. Chapman plot in 1863 seems to have been the closest attempt). I'm aware of the failed "Salvador pirates" hijacking in Panama in 1864, afaik these were actually CS Navy personnel trying to take over a Panama Railroad steamer and convert her into a commerce raider for use in the Pacific, although I believe they were still tried for piracy initially before having their sentences commuted.

Last edited:
Back