Handguns Pinfire Revolver

SJU

Corporal
I received this pinfire revolver as a gift around 1990. It's been hanging on a wall since then. I know very little about civil war revolvers and there are some real experts here. I'd appreciate it if people could share their knowledge about this gun.

Rev 1.JPG

Rev 2.JPG

Rev 3.JPG

Rev 4.JPG

Rev 5.JPG

Neat! I like the look of the European revolvers. A good book to have Inter-library loan or otherwise is GUNS OF THE CIVIL WAR by Davis. An older book but it has quite a bit on pinfires of that era. FWIW I saw an advert in SHOTGUN NEWS for a chap here in Texas. He can make obsolete rounds for live fire and inert or "dummy" for display. I don't have it handy but the latest issue probably does.

Looks like a Lefaucheux. Let see what our pinfire expert has to say. Paging @Aaron

Do you see LF under a crown anywhere, on the barrel just in front of the cylinder? What is the caliber? It might be an early? 10mm. Definitely looks like an 1850ish Lefaucheux

I received this pinfire revolver as a gift around 1990. It's been hanging on a wall since then. I know very little about civil war revolvers and there are some real experts here. I'd appreciate it if people could share their knowledge about this gun.

View attachment 391293

View attachment 391294

View attachment 391295

View attachment 391296

View attachment 391297
I agree it looks like a Lefaucheux. I have a 1858 7 mm Lefaucheux with folding trigger. Mine was made by a Belgium gunsmith with Lefaucheux permission. If you can see the serial number and contact them on the net, they will tell you the history of it.

a guy in TEXAS, who makes them up for sale, is BOB HAYLEY,211 NORTH RIVER, PO BOX 889, SEYMOUR, TX.76389. TELE. (940) 888-3352. hope this helps? if you call leave a message, he is old and works alone. he will get back to you.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.
I can't make make out a crown or LF. Directly in front of the cylinder there is a number stamped over very small letters. Below the cylinder there is another number.

Rev 1.JPG

Weren't copper bases applied to revolvers so a nickel finish could be applied?
It was but I’m not sure when that started. For instance on some older Colt double action revolvers if you polished it too much with Flitz you would wear through the thin nickel finish and the copper underneath the nickel would show. Once that happened the nickel finish would start peeling off over time.

It was but I’m not sure when that started. For instance on some older Colt double action revolvers if you polished it too much with Flitz you would wear through the thin nickel finish and the copper underneath the nickel would show. Once that happened the nickel finish would start peeling off over time.
So were these metal pieces at one time dipped into liquid copper to provide a base for plating?
Lubliner.

Belgium made pinfire revolver, probably 9 or 12 mm .
On the left side the barrel under the decoration you must and can read "Invon E. Lefaucheux Breveté "
This is a revolver made under license and means the the patent royalties has been paid
www.lefaucheux.net

Guillaume

Back