CWDigitalDigest Pineapple - Vol. V, Episode 4

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
A refreshing snack that you can try at home!

Published on Feb 13, 2019

In this episode we follow directions in the Kentucky Housewife, published in 1839, on how to eat pineapple fresh. We found this to be very simple, quick, and refreshing! Make up this simple treat for your next living history event or barbeque. We want to thank the Waterloo Area Historical Society for their hospitality during this episode.

Want your own copy of “Kentucky Housewife” to find more historic recipes? Click here! https://amzn.to/2N27v7I

YouTube: Channel

Civil War Digital Digest (CWDD) is your first stop for high quality videos on Civil War history, living history and Michigan Civil War history. Here the avid living historian, relaxed arm chair general and teachers will find resources that both educate and entertain.

CivilWarTalk will feature a CWDD video every Sunday when possible, either the latest offering, or a classic video from the past! Make sure you post your comments about the video below!

Thanks Mike. Never thought of sprinkling unrefined sugar on a pineapple.

BTW, don't throw away the skin or core! Make chica morada, a delightful Peruvian drink that is supposed to be good for high blood pressure. A Chinese-Peruvian lady at the credit union taught me. Recipe:

Pineapple core and skin (not the flesh - you eat that separately)
Inca Purple Corn
cinnamon stick
4 cloves
Apple (any color)
Brown sugar
1 gallon water

Wash pineapple exterior and allow to dry. You want to remove any pesticides. Cut up pineapple and set aside skin and core, bottom and part of the top (you don't want the leaves).

Throw the skin, core, top and bottom into a pot along with purple corn, cinnamon stick, cloves and water. Boil down to 3/4 gallon. Throw in sliced apple and cook until soft. Drain off liquid into pot. Add sugar to taste. Refrigerate and enjoy.

I throw the skin, core, corn and apple into the field for the critters or if you compost, compost it.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see multiple directions for preparation in a pre-1840 cookbook. I have found in period cookbooks pine-apples in this way, cakes, and ice cream. The ice cream showing up the most often. The Virginia Housewife, even earlier, has a Pine-apple cream (takes some digging to find as its hidden in another recipe). I am always surprised by the ability back then to transport goods and how fast news did travel. By the civil war I believe Florida was growing pineapple so it should have become much easier, cheaper to get. On Facebook someone posted a photo of a Pineapple shopping box from the Bertrand (1865).

Back