Period Jelly for Meats / Pigeon Pie / Birds in Jelly

Jellied meats are not my idea of food. I know they were very common then, but it doesn't sound good. I could eat the meat without the jelly, but with it. No way. I can eat many things, but this goes above what I would eat. Good luck to any volunteer who tries it. The entrails might be the highlight of the meal.

Yes, it does sound particularly dreadful, doesn't it?

I was once served a very special chicken soup, from "an old Yiddish recipe." It was, of course, "chicken jell-o" (so to speak). I forced down a little, swallowing spoonsfull "whole", with as little contact with the interior of my mouth as possible ... just to be polite. I didn't ask for "seconds."

Pigeon is just fine. I have it a couple of times a year and if cooked right and served with a sauce is lovely (especially the breast IMHO).

Jellied pigeon? Unconvinced.

Jellied pigeon with entrails? No. Just no. Then again I've never liked offal (etc)

Really should be an option where a thread like this is invisible until after lunch. Stomach doesn't seem in the mood to contemplate this recipe.

We ate a lot of stuff 150 years ago that would end up on a reality show as a repulsive dare today. Having said that, rule seems to be if we're clueless about what's in the food, we'll eat it. Do not read package ingredients on cheap hot dogs. " Natural sheep casing " for instance. May wish to look that up.

Back