Pictures of the 14th Alabama Infantry

JWheeler331

First Sergeant
Looking for ANY pictures of the 14th Alabama Infantry.

I have spent the last few hours on google looking for pictures of the unit.

Just thought I would try the good people here.

Thank you kindly.

Found these at the Alabama Department of Archives and History online collections:

=18552&action=2&DMSCALE=70&DMWIDTH=504&DMHEIGHT=473&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=14th%20alabama&DMROTATE=0.jpg

14th Alabama Battle Flag

=photo&CISOPTR=18245&action=2&DMSCALE=65&DMWIDTH=238&DMHEIGHT=468&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMROTATE=0.jpg

Lucius Pinkard

=4937&action=2&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=284&DMHEIGHT=391&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=14th%20alabama&DMROTATE=0.jpg

Marshall B. Hurst, Musician, Co. C.

=4952&action=2&DMSCALE=150&DMWIDTH=343&DMHEIGHT=471&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=14th%20alabama&DMROTATE=0.jpg

Owen Kenan McLemore, 8th U.S. Infantry (later Lt. Col., 14th Alabama)

R=5261&action=2&DMSCALE=65&DMWIDTH=371&DMHEIGHT=463&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=14th%20alabama&DMROTATE=0.jpg

Josiah Sanford Elsberry Davis, later Captain, Co. E, 14th Alabama

Hope this is useful.

Thank you very much. I had seen a couple of those. Not all though.

I was hoping that there may have been a group photo out there that I could not find.

Thank you very much. I had seen a couple of those. Not all though.

I was hoping that there may have been a group photo out there that I could not find.

Hope I'm not too late. Muster Day August 2, 1861 14th Alabama Infantry. Not everyone is pictured. Some mustered later in Auburn, Alabama. *** Please see posts 17 & 18. Actually photo of Co. B "Hempstead Rifles" 3rd Arkansas State Troops
noU7ecs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That bass drum is rather odd, looks like two drums laced together. I think they all need to some serious drilling, esp. the guy at the left end of the front. Attention! anyone?

That is an amazing photo, thanks for sharing. I wouldn't imagine that there are too many "muster day" group photos like this out there...?

So the middle drummer, Would that be a kettle drum? The furthest drum on the right, Snare drum? I believe the drummer in the middle may Marshal B. Hurst, Lead musician. He played a fife and kettle drum from what I am told. Here is his photo. I believe he resembles the drummer in the middle. I may even be able to identify the guy right of the last drummer on the right. He appears to be holding a fife. His name may be William Parks. William mustered in on August 2, 1861 the day this photo was supposedly taken. Some of the troops mustered in here and then they went to Auburn, Alabama where others mustered in September. Does anyone else think that this man pictures resembles the drummer in the middle?
hurst.jpg

So the middle drummer, Would that be a kettle drum? The furthest drum on the right, Snare drum? I believe the drummer in the middle may Marshal B. Hurst, Lead musician. He played a fife and kettle drum from what I am told. Here is his photo. I believe he resembles the drummer in the middle. I may even be able to identify the guy right of the last drummer on the right. He appears to be holding a fife. His name may be William Parks. William mustered in on August 2, 1861 the day this photo was supposedly taken. Some of the troops mustered in here and then they went to Auburn, Alabama where others mustered in September. Does anyone else think that this man pictures resembles the drummer in the middle? View attachment 47722

My son who used to play bass drum in a pipe band tells me that the two small ones are both snares because of the sticks. He identifies the large drum as a bass drum, as they were sometimes made, back in the day. A kettle drum or tympani is shaped like a kettle like they used to boil sap or cook soup and is stationary because it is usually made of copper and heavy.

Last edited:
I will just say I continue to be amazed at what members of this forum are able to produce. :smoke:

Yeah but would a kettle drum like your son is used to seeing in a school band be practical in battle? There is an obvious difference in those two drums in the photo. One being taller than the other. That would change the tone to a deeper pitched sound yet still be practical while marching into battle. I see a strong likeness between the middle drummer and Marshall B. Hurst's later photo. The eyes and brow area in that photo are very distinctive. You would have to blow that photo up a little to see that. I appreciate what your son is saying but you really can't compare instruments 150 years old to instruments of today. Found this doing a search. It shows kids how to build drums. The kettle looks like the others except size.
YCsshzF.jpg

I appreciate everyone's input. Again I'll ask, I have only found 18 musicians listed in the 14th Alabama. So far I know Marshall Hurst was a fifer and drummer for Co C. , William Parks was a fifer Co. G, John H. Holdridge wasa drummer for company G. I have names of all the others but I'm looking for muster dates on them and instruments they played. Especially if they played fife so I can eliminate anyone who was not mustered in on August 2, 1861. I'm trying to figure out if this photo is William Parks holding the fife as I believe it is.

I appreciate everyone's input. Again I'll ask, I have only found 18 musicians listed in the 14th Alabama. So far I know Marshall Hurst was a fifer and drummer for Co C. , William Parks was a fifer Co. G, John H. Holdridge wasa drummer for company G. I have names of all the others but I'm looking for muster dates on them and instruments they played. Especially if they played fife so I can eliminate anyone who was not mustered in on August 2, 1861. I'm trying to figure out if this photo is William Parks holding the fife as I believe it is.
Yeah but would a kettle drum like your son is used to seeing in a school band be practical in battle? There is an obvious difference in those two drums in the photo. One being taller than the other. That would change the tone to a deeper pitched sound yet still be practical while marching into battle. I see a strong likeness between the middle drummer and Marshall B. Hurst's later photo. The eyes and brow area in that photo are very distinctive. You would have to blow that photo up a little to see that. I appreciate what your son is saying but you really can't compare instruments 150 years old to instruments of today. Found this doing a search. It shows kids how to build drums. The kettle looks like the others except size.
YCsshzF.jpg

Call them what you will, none of these are a kettle drum. A kettle drum has only one head and has to be rounded or closed on the bottom to make the distinctive sound. Snare drums can be different sizes in order to produce different timbre.
Small tympani have been used for cavalry but still with the distinctive shape.

In answer to your question about Hurst, I say a definite maybe. In the muster picture, no beard, different uniform, which, of course, are things that are easily changed. I would say that the hairline is definitely the same, same nose, similar sloping shoulders.

Hope I'm not too late. Muster Day August 2, 1861 14th Alabama Infantry. Not everyone is pictured. Some mustered later in Auburn, Alabama.
noU7ecs.jpg
Mr. Parks: I am very interested in learning the source of this picture and any details you can provide about it. Did you obtain the picture from your ancestor William Parks, who was in Company G? Do you know where the picture was taken? (Was it Hackneyville, Alabama? The records I have found indicate Company G was originally formed on July 24, 1861 at Hackneyville.) The 14th Alabama Regiment mustered into Confederate service at Camp Johnston, near Auburn in August 1861. I know for sure that Marshall B. Hurst (who enlisted in Company C, and then became Chief Musician) did not enlist in the 14th Alabama until November 1861, after the Regiment had moved to Virginia, (so Hurst cannot be in this picture, if it was created in July or August 1861). I am also interested in your list of 18 musicians in the Regiment. I would like to compare notes. If you prefer, please contact me at [email protected].

Hope I'm not too late. Muster Day August 2, 1861 14th Alabama Infantry. Not everyone is pictured. Some mustered later in Auburn, Alabama.
noU7ecs.jpg

No disrespect to the poster on this photo but it is NOT an Alabama outfit. The original was in the possession of Dr Sweeney and now part of the Wilson's Creek collection. It is company B of the 3rd Arkansas Infantry.

Link
Link 2

Southerngirl - is this your feller?

Last edited:
noU7ecs.jpg
As noted above, this photo is Co. B "Hempstead Rifles" of the 3rd Arkansas State Troops.

Posted more about it here: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/hempstead-rifles-3rd-arkansas-state-troops.78701/

Also, not too long ago there was another thread on the 14th Alabama Infantry posted in the Regimental Histories forum: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/14th-alabama-infantry.132026/

Looking For A Picture Of My GGGrandfather William Alexander Burnett A Private In 14th Alabama Regiment Tom Watts Gray's Company C. Thanks...Donald

Back