Recreated Pickled Pig's Feet

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Pickled Pig's Feet was another favorite of my Granny. Both my Granddad and Uncle loved them.

This recipe for Pickled Pig Feet is from "Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook" which is based on recipes from early Dutch settlers to Pennsylvania.

Pickled Pig's Feet

4 pig's feet, split
3 cups cider vinegar
1 onion, sliced
12 peppercorns
6 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon salt

Scrub pig's feet thoroughly. Put into a kettle, cover with cold water. Add vinegar, bring to boiling. Skim. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2 hours, or until tender. Cool in liquid. Serve cold.

Pickled Pig's Feet was another favorite of my Granny. Both my Granddad and Uncle loved them.

This recipe for Pickled Pig Feet is from "Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook" which is based on recipes from early Dutch settlers to Pennsylvania.

Pickled Pig's Feet

4 pig's feet, split
3 cups cider vinegar
1 onion, sliced
12 peppercorns
6 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon salt

Scrub pig's feet thoroughly. Put into a kettle, cover with cold water. Add vinegar, bring to boiling. Skim. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2 hours, or until tender. Cool in liquid. Serve cold.

Another country store delicacy (the ubiquitous pickle pig foot jar) that I would have to be near starvation or held at gun point to eat. :frown:

As a kid I remember seeing pickled pig's feet, pickled eggs and dill pickles in large jars on the counter of the neighborhood grocery store. From time to time I would get an egg or a pickle, but the pigs feet were just too disgusting to eat. I still feel the same way as an adult.:nah disagree:

Pickled eggs are good. I always love the large dill pickles. The rural grocery in Little Elkhorn, Ky. always had a large jar of dill pickles. It was store that my Granny always went to. Sometimes she would buy us a large dill pickle and she would divide it in half, and we would eat it. It was so good. We always got a coke to drink.

The Pennsylvania Dutch ( Deutsch-Germans) always used everything from a pig (except the squeal). Scrapple comes to mind and I always loved their pickled souse (scrap meat, vegetables in a sour jellied brick) and of course blood pudding and pickled pigs feet. I think at one time Armour sold the stuff in grocery stores in jars. I think the Pennsylvania Dutch should be honored and credited with the discovery that anything is edible if properly prepared (and disguised). That reminds me. Was it not another German, Otto Von Bismarck who noted that the public was better off not seeing laws and sausages being made?

My grandpa used to eat pickled pigs feet and he would share with us kids - whomever dared. I thought they were good. I've tried to get my kids to eat them but they say no. I shoulda started them when they were younger. Much like our homemade chicken mcnuggets (chicken livers). They'll eat them just fine because I started them young. Any food that can double as fish bait is always good, right? ;o)[/quote]

Never thought of that![/quote]

Back