• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sides Pickled Eggs

pickled eggs
(from The Kentucky Housewife, by Lettice Bryan, 1839)

Ingredients:
eggs​
red beets​
vinegar​
salt & pepper​
nutmeg​
cloves​
Instructions:
Boil them till they are hard; throw them into cold water immediately while hot, which will make the shells slip off smoothly without breaking the eggs. Boil some red beets till very soft; peel and mash them fine, and put enough of the juice into some plain cold vinegar to color it a fine pink; add a very little salt, pepper, nutmeg and cloves; put the eggs into a jar, and transfuse the vinegar, & c. over them. They make a delightful garnish to remain whole, for poultry, game & fish & still more beautiful when cut in ringlets.​

Last edited by a moderator:
JLBristol welcome to the forum. Hope you can add some recipes for the Food Forum.
Thanks, I'll see what I can do...
I can say that I made several of the recipes found on here for the last CW Event at Kearney Park (Fresno, Ca) for my new unit. Within a few bites of Friday night's dinner, it was unanimous to hire me on as cook. I guess I do well with Cast Iron over coals. :smile:

Friday's Menu:
Breakfast- Buttermilk Flapjacks served with Molasses
Dinner- Cabbage Stew
Confederate Cornbread
Apple Pan Dowdy
Saturday:
Breakfast- Sausage with Potatoes
Dinner- Confederate Beef Stew
Sourdough Biscuits
Peach Cobbler
Sun:
Breakfast- Sausage with Red Potatoes and Green Bell Pepper with Eggs on the side

The Brigade Commander and his Sgt were licking my pots clean on Sat. Night. He was even trying to steal me as the Brigade Cook! My Guys were very much against that, and I may have a personal guard in the future to prevent Cook Theft.

Spm complex. I'm also a freak for pickled pork hocks. When they're gone, I throw in four or five hard-boiled eggs. You can trick it up with horseradish, garlic, hot peppers or whatever is your taste.

Use as a snack or chop into a salad to perk it up.

Any pickle juice can be used after the pickles are gone. Just trick it up to your taste.

This recipe for Pickled Eggs is from "The Kentucky Housewife" by Lettice Bryan (1839).

"Boil them till they are hard; throw them into cold water immediately while hot, which will make the shells slip off smoothly without breaking the eggs. Boil some red beets till very soft; peel and mash them fine, and put enough of the juice into some plain cold vinegar to color it a fine pink; add a very little salt, pepper, nutmeg and cloves; put the eggs into a jar, and transfuse the vinegar, & c. over them. They make a delightful garnish to remain whole, for poultry, game & fish & still more beautiful when cut in ringlets."
These are very good with some sprinkled on Habanero pepper powder.

Back