Pickett Pickett's relationship with his subordinates

Elennsar

Colonel
What, if anything, is known about how Pickett was seen by (and saw) Armistead, Garnett, and Kemper (plus Corse and Jenkins if we want to be complete)?

The Killer Angels seems to present a warm relationship between Pickett and his brigadiers, but I know too little of the actual man to know if that's one of the areas of inaccuracy.

What, if anything, is known about how Pickett was seen by (and saw) Armistead, Garnett, and Kemper (plus Corse and Jenkins if we want to be complete)?

The Killer Angels seems to present a warm relationship between Pickett and his brigadiers, but I know too little of the actual man to know if that's one of the areas of inaccuracy.

The Overall Opinion of the Individual Soldiers in the Virginia Regimental Series Books of Pickett's Divisional Regiments of Kemper's Brigade (1st/7th/11th/17th/24th) Garnett's (Pickett's Original) (8th/18th/19th/28th/56th) Armistead's (9th/14th/38th/53rd/57th). Speak very highly of Pickett and show a positive feeling of respect towards, the general.

Eppa Hunton , Colonel of the 8th Virginia who commanded Pickett's Brigade during Second Manassas, was known to be very supportive of Pickett, when Mosby said to the Virginia press that Pickett hated Lee after the Gettysburg Assault.

Montgomery Corse was very supportive of Pickett's controversial actions at Kinston

When Pickett went on leave while his men were in North Carolina foraging for the upcoming Gettysburg Campaign they often complained about being under D.H. Hill's command, and some regiments feared they would be separated from Pickett and be with D.H. Hill for the rest of the war, stating they wanted to remain with their "Brother" regiments and original commander.

They also speak highly of Pickett encouraging his men before the charge, and they said he "weeped" upon seeing on his men strewn all over the ground at Gettysburg.

The Killer Angels aka Gettysburg movie, Pickett is more based off La Salle's romanticzed version of Pickett and not the real life Pickett. Remember there is no evidence or sources of the conversations and quotes in the Book/Movie ever happening.
Its a historical fiction, and remember Buster Kilrain is a completely made up character.

When you consider a lot of these guys were together in the army before the war--and in the Mexican War--besides being West Point classmates....you'd have to be a total jerk (like Jubal Early) not to be well-liked. Remember, Pickett was the first man over the wall at Chapultepec. He was a HERO.

When you consider a lot of these guys were together in the army before the war--and in the Mexican War--besides being West Point classmates....you'd have to be a total jerk (like Jubal Early) not to be well-liked. Remember, Pickett was the first man over the wall at Chapultepec. He was a HERO.

HAHA "Old Jube" an ironic name his men gave him

Legend says Armistead got expelled from West Point for smashing a plate over Jubal Early's head, though Armistead most likely got kicked out due to poor grades......

the 38th Virginia which would be under Pickett Command later, was under Jubal Early at Williamsburg and after the battle when they were reassigned to General Samuel Garland, the men "rejoiced" because they hated Early so much.

HAHA "Old Jube" an ironic name his men gave him

Legend says Armistead got expelled from West Point for smashing a plate over Jubal Early's head, though Armistead most likely got kicked out due to poor grades......

It's one of those "If he didn't, he probably should have," things.

On the other hand, there's the status of buddies that the novel goes in for, and then there's - well, how well did Pickett actually know say Garnett?

Thus me wondering. Despite making up conversations and characters it is a fun read, but I don't get the sense from the little I know that Garnett and Armistead IRL were the sort to be that friendly. Not hostile, just a little more distant.

Seth: Speaks well of Pickett for his men to miss being under his command. It's not as if Harvey Hill was - in this regard - a jerk (well, not much of a jerk), but some generals win men's hearts.

On the other hand, there's the status of buddies that the novel goes in for, and then there's - well, how well did Pickett actually know say Garnett?

Thus me wondering. Despite making up conversations and characters it is a fun read, but I don't get the sense from the little I know that Garnett and Armistead IRL were the sort to be that friendly. Not hostile, just a little more distant.

Seth: Speaks well of Pickett for his men to miss being under his command. It's not as if Harvey Hill was - in this regard - a jerk (well, not much of a jerk), but some generals win men's hearts.

Yeah it does not help that Garnett and Armistead died,

Armistead's men talk about how he would calm his men down and encourage them though, they liked Armistead for the most part.

Garnett does not have a lot of info though, even his most famous picture is debated id its really him or not.

There is a good picture of him in some of the Virginia Regimental Books.

D.H. Hill was known to have mixed feelings in regards to the men under his command

Harvey Hill's reports seem to have been lavish with praise of the dead, but stingy for the living.

Speaking of Garnett, is there any record of him responding in any way to Pickett's promotion to division command beyond formalities? He was Pickett's senior as a brigadier general, but he seems more intent on vindicating his honor than any ambitions on rank.

Harvey Hill's reports seem to have been lavish with praise of the dead, but stingy for the living.

Speaking of Garnett, is there any record of him responding in any way to Pickett's promotion to division command beyond formalities? He was Pickett's senior as a brigadier general, but he seems more intent on vindicating his honor than any ambitions on rank.

Yeah you got a good point, he really wanted to prove himself after Kernstown, I think Jackson was a little harsh though, what was Garnett supposed to do after running out of ammo?

The Battle of Kernstown actually strategically helped Jackson's Valley Campaign though.

I know Col.Stuart of the 56th Virginia was good friends with Stonewall Jackson though, again almost every commander under Pickett was know to have a favorable view of him.

Though their was some gripping and complaints about Pickett taking a leave of absence to see LaSalle while his division was foraging in North Carolina.

Yeah you got a good point, he really wanted to prove himself after Kernstown, I think Jackson was a little harsh though, what was Garnett supposed to do after running out of ammo?

"Use the bayonet." I suppose. Jackson was at his most petty and mean spirited over this, in my less than humble opinion, whether consciously so or not.

The Battle of Kernstown actually strategically helped Jackson's Valley Campaign though.

I know Col.Stuart of the 56th Virginia was good friends with Stonewall Jackson though, again almost every commander under Pickett was know to have a favorable view of him.

Though their was some gripping and complaints about Pickett taking a leave of absence to see LaSalle while his division was foraging in North Carolina.

Did anyone write anything about how they felt about him after the July 3 attack? Anything different than they'd said before, I mean.

I've read some people not in his division carped about it, but his men seem to have trusted he was where he needed to be.

"Use the bayonet." I suppose. Jackson was at his most petty and mean spirited over this, in my less than humble opinion, whether consciously so or not.

Did anyone write anything about how they felt about him after the July 3 attack? Anything different than they'd said before, I mean.

I've read some people not in his division carped about it, but his men seem to have trusted he was where he needed to be.

Pickett definitely was not himself after the attack, he suffered from depression and Kinston and Five Forks were just the "breaking point" for Pickett.

Richmond Newspapers and the public criticized Pickett for being the only high ranking officer in his division not wounded or killed, despite the fact that its not the job of the divisional commander to ride up and get himself killed.

Overall his men supported him and often defended him against the public, Pickett was dong the right thing by trying to observe and conduct the attack from a distance, and trying to get some reinforcements to support his division.

Though there might be times and places taking more risk would be appropriate, I agree this was a time Pickett needed to stand back and coordinate rather than be there to get shot at with his boys.

Thanks for this back and forth- we beginners tend to read information from all over the place. It's SO confusing then of course LaSalle got an awful lot of heat for her portrayal of Pickett- you're kind of ' told' that if you wish to be a serious student, just don't believe her. Seems a little harsh? I mean, she did the whole over-the-top Victorian thing, but I find myself liking her loyalty.

Did not know he'd taken heat for making it back alive. I realize I'm in over my head ( again ) in this discussion, but isn't it a little amazing he wasn't killed or wounded just having gone OUT there that day? Anyone who came back? Armistead making as far as he did ( seeing where he fell flattened me- gosh- that's amazing to see, you can't believe it ) must have been a miracle anyway.

Pickett is just one of my favorite, non-cavalry Confederate generals. :smile: It's an interesting thread for a beginner because you touch on unraveling ' Killer Angel ' myth- which maybe was accurate for a change? I'd fallen for a LOT of the novel, so am curious.

Thanks for this back and forth- we beginners tend to read information from all over the place. It's SO confusing then of course LaSalle got an awful lot of heat for her portrayal of Pickett- you're kind of ' told' that if you wish to be a serious student, just don't believe her. Seems a little harsh? I mean, she did the whole over-the-top Victorian thing, but I find myself liking her loyalty.

Did not know he'd taken heat for making it back alive. I realize I'm in over my head ( again ) in this discussion, but isn't it a little amazing he wasn't killed or wounded just having gone OUT there that day? Anyone who came back? Armistead making as far as he did ( seeing where he fell flattened me- gosh- that's amazing to see, you can't believe it ) must have been a miracle anyway.

Pickett is just one of my favorite, non-cavalry Confederate generals. :smile: It's an interesting thread for a beginner because you touch on unraveling ' Killer Angel ' myth- which maybe was accurate for a change? I'd fallen for a LOT of the novel, so am curious.

She was about 20 in 1863, and a teenager when the war started, i think that her age gave her that kind of "Gone with the wind" romantic but unrealistic view on war.

But almost every man who joined up in 1861 thought the same way too, by the end of the war those men sure did have a different view on the war, especially survivors in Pickett's Division.

Back