Pickett Pickett's Last Man, The Story of Captain Frank W. Nelson - 56th Virginia

• Thread starter Deleted member 8452
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8452

This is an interesting article I found about Captain Frank Nelson of the 56th Virginia giving his account of Pickett's Charge. He lead Company A (Mecklenburg Guards) in the desperate Charge on July 3rd. He was in one of the 15 regiments under the command of General Pickett.

http://richmondthenandnow.com/Newspaper-Articles/Pickett's-Last-Man.html

Frank-W-Nelson.gif

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I don't know how they did it.

Fun Fact: one of those men who was wounded by the cannon shells in Nelson's company just as the regiment reached the Emmitsburg Road was most likely my ancestor Pvt.Matthew Chandler - 56th Virginia Company A.

Last edited by a moderator:
This IS a really good eyewitness account. Thanks for posting it, Seth!

Yeah, his account was also used as the basis of an Osprey Book Union Infantryman vs Confederate Infantryman, talks about the 56th Virginia on July the 3rd.

It's a decent book that gives a good overview. Great for younger people to get interested in the civil war, has some decent maps and artwork too.

9781780969275-th2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth your thread inspired me to buy The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command by Coddington. I just ordered it. I was trying to decide what book to get with the gift card I got from the daughter back on father's day. I have thought about getting this book for some time now. I have heard from people that say it is the best book on Gettysburg and some said it was the worst, so I will read it and decide for myself.:smile coffee:

Seth your thread inspired me to buy The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command by Coddington. I just ordered it. I was trying to decide what book to get with the gift card I got from the daughter back on father's day. I have thought about getting this book for some time now. I have heard from people that say it is the best book on Gettysburg and some said it was the worst, so I will read it and decide for myself.:smile coffee:

Thanks. I really have always been interested In Pickett's Virginian Division. I'm always interested about his regiments.

Yeah, his account was also used as the basis of an Osprey Book Union Infantryman vs Confederate Infantryman, talks about the 56th Virginia on July the 3rd.

It's a decent book that gives a good overview. Great for younger people to get interested in the civil war, has some decent maps and artwork too.

View attachment 41840

Thanks, Seth. I'm always looking for books on the CW for my 11-year old son!

Back