Pickett's Division is present on July 2?

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
Part of Longstreet's misgivings regarding the planned attack on July 2 at Gettysburg were caused by the absence of George Pickett's division. As Longstreet put it, "I never like to go into battle with one boot off."

Pickett's division had been detached guarding the Rebel lines of communications at Chambersburg, and was thus the last to arrive on the field. However, what if Pickett managed to arrive with the rest of Longstreet's corps? Would the presence of another division allow the attack to go better for the Rebels, or would it merely further swell the Confederate casualties?

So, there is much to cover.
I'm gonna skim over the issue of how the march plans of the division has to be changed in order for him to be there early July 2nd, and just say he arrives same time as McLaws and Hood.
Next is the issue of deployment. Where along the line of attack is he placed? Is he in reserve to assist McLaws and Hood, or is he placed on Hood's right flank.If the former, it would be a meat grinder, but with more confederate troops present to exploit the weakness of the Federal line, much more damage may be done to the Union troops. If the latter, Pickett would probably do what Hood wanted done and outflank the Round Tops, which would put the Confederates at a considerable advantage.

Pickett's division did arrive on the battlefield late in the afternoon on July 2 and I wonder why they were not used in the second day's fighting myself. If they arrived around 5:00 PM, they could have taken a short rest period from their march to the battlefield and at least been deployed to drive the McLaws/Hood attack home. I don't think they would have the time to attempt the flanking manuever that Hood suggested but they could have been thrown in as reinforcements for McLaws and Hood in the Peach Orchard.

So, there is much to cover.
I'm gonna skim over the issue of how the march plans of the division has to be changed in order for him to be there early July 2nd, and just say he arrives same time as McLaws and Hood.
Next is the issue of deployment. Where along the line of attack is he placed? Is he in reserve to assist McLaws and Hood, or is he placed on Hood's right flank.If the former, it would be a meat grinder, but with more confederate troops present to exploit the weakness of the Federal line, much more damage may be done to the Union troops. If the latter, Pickett would probably do what Hood wanted done and outflank the Round Tops, which would put the Confederates at a considerable advantage.
I've heard that Hood's plan was probably not as great as many have made it out to be. I admit I'm very far from an expert on Gettysburg, but I think it may have had something to do with the relative troop strengths. Three more brigades on the Confederate right may be just enough to tip the scale, or maybe not.

I've heard that Hood's plan was probably not as great as many have made it out to be. I admit I'm very far from an expert on Gettysburg, but I think it may have had something to do with the relative troop strengths. Three more brigades on the Confederate right may be just enough to tip the scale, or maybe not.

Longstreet's attack was already late and the roads were cluttered adding Pickett to the mix would have delayed it even further allowing the Union V corps to fully reinforce both hills and some , Remember the Union could see what Longstreet was up to.

This is why Longstreet gets so much flak , If he had attacked earlier both hills would have been lightly defended or not at all the fact that he took to long meant the Union V corps could man said hills and provide relief for the III Corps.

Having said that Bobby Lee might not have attacked the Union Centre on the third day with no fresh divisions at hand.

Longstreet's attack was already late and the roads were cluttered adding Pickett to the mix would have delayed it even further allowing the Union V corps to fully reinforce both hills and some , Remember the Union could see what Longstreet was up to.

This is why Longstreet gets so much flak , If he had attacked earlier both hills would have been lightly defended or not at all the fact that he took to long meant the Union V corps could man said hills and provide relief for the III Corps.

Having said that Bobby Lee might not have attacked the Union Centre on the third day with no fresh divisions at hand.
I think most would agree that, while Longstreet was probably not trying to actively sabotage the attack, he wasn't happy about it either. While I doubt this changes anything, maybe having all his divisions could have Longstreet in a cautiously optimistic mood, perhaps stopping any possible foot-dragging on his part?

On the other hand had Longstreet attacked earlier Sickles might have been back on the line Meade intended he hold and Little Round Top would've been covered and Sickles' troops wouldn't been hung out in a salient, and a weakly held salient at that.

On the other hand had Longstreet attacked earlier Sickles might have been back on the line Meade intended he hold and Little Round Top would've been covered and Sickles' troops wouldn't been hung out in a salient, and a weakly held salient at that.

That's a good point Tom , Sickles was in his little bulge for what 2-3 hours and Longstreet's attack went in around 4-5 pm cant remember off the top of my head , Even so Pickett division + 2 more on those crappy roads attack wouldn't have gone in till 6pm at the earliest in my opinion.

But I quite agree had Pete attacked earlier he could have smashed into a III corps in line but with both hills undefended , Got to love what ifs :O o:

I think most would agree that, while Longstreet was probably not trying to actively sabotage the attack, he wasn't happy about it either. While I doubt this changes anything, maybe having all his divisions could have Longstreet in a cautiously optimistic mood, perhaps stopping any possible foot-dragging on his part?

Yeah I see what your getting at , Pete was defiantly pouting he was miffed no doubt , To be fair to Longstreet when the attack did go in he didn't hold back he gave it everything.

One theory is the Roads his divisions could only march in columns of 4 or even 3 their are some well written sources on Longstreet's march on July 2 lets just say old Lafayette didn't cover himself in glory either and it ended up with them both pouting.

IMO the crucial issue is the echelon attack going off fully on the 2nd. The key is if you get the Union reserves engaged on their left followed by a heavy attack hitting 11th Corps on the hinge of the line.

Having another division to attack with, wherever they are deployed, would certainly have helped on Day 2, but the 6th Corps was sitting out there waiting for something to do for the Union Army.

Having another division to attack with, wherever they are deployed, would certainly have helped on Day 2, but the 6th Corps was sitting out there waiting for something to do for the Union Army.
It wasn't; it was still marching to the field, having begun the day thirty miles away in Manchester MD. One brigade got involved late in the day, but that's far from the whole corps being available waiting for something to do.

Back