Pickett's Charge - Memorial March - 158th Anniversary

Aimless Lee

Private
Hey Gang,
Pickett's Charge - Memorial March
I had the opportunity to take part in something really special on July 3rd. A small group of reenactors applied for a permit to do a Memorial March over the ground of Pickett's Charge. We were representing the 57th Virginia Infantry. There were about 40 of us and we stopped at various locations on the field to read first person accounts from the survivors. We started at the Virginia Monument and ended at Armistead's Monument. It was pretty awesome to literally 'walk a mile in their shoes'. I've been to Gettysburg a few times now, but never had the chance to actually walk the full length of Pickett's Charge. It gave me a whole new perspective on what happened that day and how horrible it must have been. If anyone is interested, I produced a video about the event. (It's 42 minutes long - so grab some popcorn...) Overall, it was an amazing event and I'm so glad I had the chance to participate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gang,

I had the opportunity to take part in something really special on July 3rd. A small group of reenactors applied for a permit to do a Memorial March over the ground of Pickett's Charge. We were representing the 57th Virginia Infantry. There were about 40 of us and we stopped at various locations on the field to read first person accounts from the survivors. We started at the Virginia Monument and ended at Armistead's Monument. It was pretty awesome to literally 'walk a mile in their shoes'. I've been to Gettysburg a few times now, but never had the chance to actually walk the full length of Pickett's Charge. It gave me a whole new perspective on what happened that day and how horrible it must have been. If anyone is interested, I produced a video about the event. (It's 42 minutes long - so grab some popcorn...) Overall, it was an amazing event and I'm so glad I had the chance to participate.

I've done it two or three times over the years starting in 1964 but always in civvies, never in reenactment duds. Last time was with CWT members during our last Gathering or Muster there in 2017.

There's another thread right now (Looking For Assistance Researching A Soldier Who Was In Pickett's Charge) which may have identified the last survivor of Pickett's Charge. @JohnnnyReb has posted a video interview with the vet done in 1938.

Hey Gang,

I'm amazed that you were able to put together such a fine film in one week. Great job.

I'm amazed that you were able to put together such a fine film in one week. Great job.
I was working on it from the moment I got home up until I finished on Thursday night. I didn't even unpack my clothes until Friday! There are lots of little things I would have liked to have fixed, but I wanted to get it out while it was still relevant and close to the date.

Thanks for watching!

Very well done. I think I was right behind you. My brother and I made the same march and we could see a similar size group of reenactors ahead of us.
It's awesome that you were there at the same time! I know we left an easy trail to follow through the wheat field! It was a great experience and I'm glad I was able to capture it and share it with others! Thanks for watching!

I've marched across that field in my Confederate uniform with about 20 others while at the 155th Gettysburg reenactment. We all said almost nothing for the 15 minutes it took to get to the Emmitsburg road. Very strange to be out in that quiet field with the sun shining and try to picture what it was like full of men with the sounds of cannons and muskets. We stopped just past the road to discuss what happened, and then went on to finish the walk up to the angle. It's interesting just how emotional the experience was.

Our view from the Emmitsburg Road towards the Union lines.
4B66F1y.jpg

Last edited:
I've marched across that field in my Confederate uniform with about 20 others while at the 155th Gettysburg reenactment. We all said almost nothing for the 15 minutes it took to get to the Emmitsburg road. Very strange to be out in that quiet field with the sun shining and try to picture what it was like full of men with the sounds of cannons and muskets. We stopped just past the road to discuss what happened, and then went on to finish the walk up to the angle. It's interesting just how emotional the experience was.
I had moments like that during our memorial march, but there was a lot of chatter too. The next morning I retraced our steps, alone and really had time to ponder what it must have been like in 1863. It must have been terrifying! When climbing up the swale and Little Round Top came into view I was just amazed by how long Pickett's men were under fire. Prior to that, I didn't think they had come under fire until they were within sight of the Emmitsburg Road. It was a humbling experience and deepened my admiration for the courage of the men who made that charge.

I've enjoyed participating in reenactments in the past, but retracing their steps on the actual battlefield while in uniform gave me a whole new appreciation for Pickett's Charge. I'm so glad I did it.

Back