Pickett or Pettigrew? North Carolina at Gettysburg....A Historical Monograph

JohnW.

2nd Lieutenant
A little (about 100 pages) pamphlet first printed in 1888 that tries to give the North Carolina troops that participated in the PPT charge the credit they were due. The charge wasn't all about Virginia!!!! A short, very interesting read with a most definite North Carolina slant.
WAPM5haSGx0W5zNFpEbivIxZVuPODcCVRPlTYqpkkB3pO7ykNiYHau3yInuorE5hN_LFerSuXDUzpL4q_xzWaoHOVVnPZbG5.jpg

https://archive.org/stream/pickettorpettigr01bond#page/n5/mode/2up

I read this a couple years ago and I just now skimmed it. It irritates me to no end what these Va newspapers reported.
Me too. As a Mississippian, I've always been disgusted by Virginia's domination of this story (minus any mention of Brockenborough's Brigade). If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend Carol Reardon's book.

The conclusion I can make based on all I have read about the PPT charge, is that the North Carolinians have been relegated to secondary players in the encounter at the expense of the Virginian regiments. It seems the Virginians have always done a better public relations job at popularizing their role.

The conclusion I can make based on all I have read about the PPT charge, is that the North Carolinians have been relegated to secondary players in the encounter at the expense of the Virginian regiments. It seems the Virginians have always done a better public relations job at popularizing their role.
In the pamphlet quite a few of the letters to the author are furious that as history was written concerning the charge, there were none but Virginia regiments on the field that day, and none but Virginia men died. IMHO....the North Carolina troops on Pickett's left took way more of a beating than did Pickett's Division......and they got smacked around pretty good!!! :smile:

I don't know anyone who knows about Pickett's Charge who thinks it was an all Virginia thing. Even back in the 1950s when I was just a kid reading my Dad's Catton books, Fletcher Pratt, and Landmark and Golden books I knew there were lots of North Carolinians involved.

Do you mean the Virginians have done a better job of bragging about their role?

In the pamphlet quite a few of the letters to the author are furious that as history was written concerning the charge, there were none but Virginia regiments on the field that day, and none but Virginia men died. IMHO....the North Carolina troops on Pickett's left took way more of a beating than did Pickett's Division......and they got smacked around pretty good!!! :smile:

Every unit that made that attack took a beating. The Yankees were not particular. :wink:

Ryan

I don't know anyone who knows about Pickett's Charge who thinks it was an all Virginia thing. Even back in the 1950s when I was just a kid reading my Dad's Catton books, Fletcher Pratt, and Landmark and Golden books I knew there were lots of North Carolinians involved.
Unless you are a Civil War scholar...very few people were/are aware that there was anybody but Virginia troops in that charge that day. You grew up blessed. :smile:

Back