Member Review Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg: A Guide to the Most Famous Attack in American History

IrishBrigade

Private
Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg: A Guide to the Most Famous Attack in American History

By James Hessler, Wayne Motts. Cartography by Steven Stanley – Published by Savas Beatie

Sales pitch below (shortened for brevity)
91Mja3RNeuL.jpg

More than 150 years after the event, the grand attack against the Union position on Cemetery Ridge still emotionally resonates with Gettysburg enthusiasts like no other aspect of the battle. On the afternoon of July 3, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee ordered more than 12,000 Southern infantrymen to undertake what would become the most legendary charge in American military history. This attack, popularly but inaccurately known as “Pickett’s Charge,” is often considered the turning point of the Civil War’s seminal battle of Gettysburg. Although much has been written about the battle itself and Pickett’s Charge in particular, Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg is the first battlefield guide for this celebrated assault.

Grounded in the premise that no better resource exists for understanding this unique event than the battlefield itself, Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg encourages its readers to explore this storied event from a wide variety of perspectives. For the first time, readers can march toward the Copse of Trees with Armistead’s Virginians, advance from the Confederate left with Pettigrew’s North Carolinians, or defend the Angle with Alonzo Cushing’s gunners and thousands of Union soldiers.

Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg is designed for readers to enjoy on or off the battlefield, and will give Civil War enthusiasts an entirely new appreciation for, and understanding of, Gettysburg’s third day of battle

My review:

On my last day at Gettysburg I decided to treat myself to this book even though its list price is $37.95 it is a very well presented and researched book with lots of maps and colour photos so I thought it was well worth it and I wasn’t disappointed.

The hardback is a little over 300 nice glossy pages long, split into four tours complete with maps, photos and GPS co-ordinates. Tour 1 is the Confederate line, Tour 2 is dedicated to the often forgotten half of the charge, the Pettigrew – Trimble charge, Tour 3 follows the main event Pickett’s charge and finally Tour 4 follows the Union line. There are also Orders of battle, general orientation and a bibliography.

The tours are very well detailed and there are very good explanations given to explain the significance of each stop. There are also very good guides to monuments in the area. The maps and GPS co-ordinates all combine to make this an essential book for enthusiasts who want to go more in depth to learn about the most famous part of the battle.

There are nice side stories as well such as the role of Stuart’s cavalry, the controversy over the 72nd Pennsylvania monument, where was Pickett? And addresses the actual relationship between Armistead and Hancock.

Overall I really enjoyed the book and would heartily recommend it, I will bring it with me on my next trip as it would really enhance and in depth understanding of the day. Yes it’s not cheap but for a hardback with lots of full colour maps and photos I think it is definitely worth it!

I have a few books about the battle of Gettysburg and I am always looking for more information about this battle. Thanks for the review and $37.95 is just chicken scratch compared to some of the college texbook prices people are charging these days. This might be a welcome addition to my Civil War library.

Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg: A Guide to the Most Famous Attack in American History

By James Hessler, Wayne Motts. Cartography by Steven Stanley – Published by Savas Beatie

Sales pitch below (shortened for brevity)
View attachment 260162
More than 150 years after the event, the grand attack against the Union position on Cemetery Ridge still emotionally resonates with Gettysburg enthusiasts like no other aspect of the battle. On the afternoon of July 3, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee ordered more than 12,000 Southern infantrymen to undertake what would become the most legendary charge in American military history. This attack, popularly but inaccurately known as “Pickett’s Charge,” is often considered the turning point of the Civil War’s seminal battle of Gettysburg. Although much has been written about the battle itself and Pickett’s Charge in particular, Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg is the first battlefield guide for this celebrated assault.

Grounded in the premise that no better resource exists for understanding this unique event than the battlefield itself, Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg encourages its readers to explore this storied event from a wide variety of perspectives. For the first time, readers can march toward the Copse of Trees with Armistead’s Virginians, advance from the Confederate left with Pettigrew’s North Carolinians, or defend the Angle with Alonzo Cushing’s gunners and thousands of Union soldiers.

Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg is designed for readers to enjoy on or off the battlefield, and will give Civil War enthusiasts an entirely new appreciation for, and understanding of, Gettysburg’s third day of battle

My review:

On my last day at Gettysburg I decided to treat myself to this book even though its list price is $37.95 it is a very well presented and researched book with lots of maps and colour photos so I thought it was well worth it and I wasn’t disappointed.

The hardback is a little over 300 nice glossy pages long, split into four tours complete with maps, photos and GPS co-ordinates. Tour 1 is the Confederate line, Tour 2 is dedicated to the often forgotten half of the charge, the Pettigrew – Trimble charge, Tour 3 follows the main event Pickett’s charge and finally Tour 4 follows the Union line. There are also Orders of battle, general orientation and a bibliography.

The tours are very well detailed and there are very good explanations given to explain the significance of each stop. There are also very good guides to monuments in the area. The maps and GPS co-ordinates all combine to make this an essential book for enthusiasts who want to go more in depth to learn about the most famous part of the battle.

There are nice side stories as well such as the role of Stuart’s cavalry, the controversy over the 72nd Pennsylvania monument, where was Pickett? And addresses the actual relationship between Armistead and Hancock.

Overall I really enjoyed the book and would heartily recommend it, I will bring it with me on my next trip as it would really enhance and in depth understanding of the day. Yes it’s not cheap but for a hardback with lots of full colour maps and photos I think it is definitely worth it!
Thanks for posting it.

Back