Picked up at an estate sale Real or repop

jim young

Private
I picked this up at an estate sale. It was with original Civil war bullets, Epaulettes, confederate interest bond clippings and Indian war 45-70 shells. Any help appreciated and it needs a spring and the three small screws for the top. Any idea where I can source these items at? Thanks.
DSC05732.JPG
DSC05732.JPG
DSC05733.JPG
DSC05734.JPG
DSC05735.JPG

I can’t help you, but I am sure someone will be along shortly who can. I will say, “don’t clean it” because that is what they all start out with! Patina is important.

The screws are missing but it only has three. The ones I see that are more modern don't have the E. Pluribus Unum on them. It does not look clean to me. There was substancial pitting on the inside of the measure from Black powder. All I did was wipe it down with a bit of Turpentine to clean off the build up of black crud. I did not polish it though. I had to soak the top in Turpentine to loosen the build up of black powder and under where the cap goes. I re-solderd it and that is all. The reason I believe it may be original is it was an estate sale With obvious real civil war items. Coupons for bonds, confederate, bullets and a few other things that were obviously original Civil War. I did a blow up of the flask compared to to others in collections and for sale from dealers that have the E. Pluribus Unum and the design is exact. Copies have some discrepancy's.

I have seen many modern flasks that are extremely dirty from black powder. Most modern flasks I have seen have a much narrower slot in the screw for the spring.

According to Reiling's, The Powder Flask book it's a common design, mostly found in Colt small caliber revolver cased sets. They also were sold on the open market, and were made by several flask makers. Some small details on your flask would indicate that it is original to the period. This one is a "Short Neck" Eagle flask. There was another variation which had a "Long Neck" eagle...

As for the parts... you'd most likely have buy another flask, in worse condition, and sacrifice it for the neck parts.

Thanks. I am not sure I really want to do much to it. the top is very snug and since I am not going to use it but have on display I may just leave it as found.

Back