Picked up a photograph of a U.S. Civil War Veteran Wearing the Purple Heart

Championhilz

First Sergeant
Forum Host
When the Purple Heart was reauthorized in 1932, the award was made retroactive for an living U.S. veteran that had been wounded in battle. There were still a number of Union veterans alive in 1932, and over the next few years a number of them that had been wounded did indeed apply for and receive the Purple Heart. I recently picked up this press photo from 1934 of N. Benton Yackey proudly wearing his GAR medal and his purple heart. Yackey served in the 2nd Missouri Cavalry (U.S.) and was wounded in a skirmish near Memphis, Missouri, in August 1862.

Yackey5_zps780c8080.jpg

Yackey6_zps24beb170.jpg

I also found a copy of the same picture that was published in the SEATTLE DAILY TIMES, July 22, 1934:

Yackey4_zps54f3324c.jpg

Here is a picture of Yackey's grave:
Yackey2_zps2e51e43f.jpg

When the Purple Heart was reauthorized in 1932, the award was made retroactive for an living U.S. veteran that had been wounded in battle. There were still a number of Union veterans alive in 1932, and over the next few years a number of them that had been wounded did indeed apply for and receive the Purple Heart. I recently picked up this press photo from 1934 of N. Benton Yackey proudly wearing his GAR medal and his purple heart. Yackey served in the 2nd Missouri Cavalry (U.S.) and was wounded in a skirmish near Memphis, Missouri, in August 1862.

Yackey5_zps780c8080.jpg

Yackey6_zps24beb170.jpg

I also found a copy of the same picture that was published in the SEATTLE DAILY TIMES, July 22, 1934:

Yackey4_zps54f3324c.jpg

Here is a picture of Yackey's grave:
Yackey2_zps2e51e43f.jpg
Thanks for sharing. Guy looks pretty spry for 92.

After reading this thread, I tried to find out more information on Union soldiers of Civil War who received a Purple Heart. Several sites say 10 applied and received them. I can't find list as to who they are. Does anyone know or have idea how to look this up?

It, to me, is just interesting to know.

After reading this thread, I tried to find out more information on Union soldiers of Civil War who received a Purple Heart. Several sites say 10 applied and received them. I can't find list as to who they are. Does anyone know or have idea how to look this up?

It, to me, is just interesting to know.
If you find out, I'd love it if you PM'd me. :smile:

Putting Humpty Dumpty together again.

My humble attempt to do some repair to the wall and not make the photo look so bad.

Yackey_wall_fix.jpg

Note, my bricks (particularly on the left) are not 100% perfect, but this was a 10 minute tribute, not a full restoration.

Back