Pick a husband from the regiment - or go home

SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Thread Medic
Chicago Daily Tribune Aug 29 CT men volunteer to marry nurse lt col nelson lloyd white.jpg

Chicago Daily Tribune August 29, 1861
This story was picked up by a few papers at the time, but leaves a lot of questions. Who did she marry, did both make it thru the war, and did the marriage last?

I was able to confirm the name of Lt Colonel Nelson Lloyd White, who served thru until 1864 when he resigned. I was also able to confirm that upon arrival at the front, the 1st was sent to Hagerstown. So the few clues that are given in the story I was able to confirm but the big questions remain.

Also, you may not have ever heard of the original outfit, but the 4th Connecticut Infantry became the 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery in January 1862 and served at many battles in the Eastern front.

Did she kiss a prince - or taste the poison?

Well, if it helps, the 4th Connecticut left for Washington on June 10, and stayed at Hagerstown until July 4, 1861. So you are looking for a marriage that probably took place in June, 1861.

My first thought would be to take on the arduous task of looking for each man in the 4th on the 1900 US census for men who had been married exactly 39 years and hope that they were still married and both living, and narrow it down from there. Which, would, of course, be pointless if the husband did not survive the war. In which case you would need to look at every widow's pension application filed by widows from the 4th CT.

It's a long shot, but maybe someone on the board knows her identity off the top of their head.

What a funny story! It does sound implausible though. What woman of the era would stow away to be a nurse? And really - six men stepped forward to marry a homely stranger? As @JOHN42768 points out, a military officer didn't have the right to perform a shipboard marriage. So not matter how accurate Lt. Col. White's name is, his powers didn't extend that far. I'm calling this one as more funny than true. But I'd be happy to have someone prove me wrong!

What a funny story! It does sound implausible though. What woman of the era would stow away to be a nurse? And really - six men stepped forward to marry a homely stranger? As @JOHN42768 points out, a military officer didn't have the right to perform a shipboard marriage. So not matter how accurate Lt. Col. White's name is, his powers didn't extend that far. I'm calling this one as more funny than true. But I'd be happy to have someone prove me wrong!

I have just downloaded the roster for Conneticut soldiers that was compiled. I am going to see if I can find more info on the Colonel. I am thinking he may have been a minister or a judge prior to his enlistment, which would give him the authority. I will get back when I have more info.

I have just downloaded the roster for Conneticut soldiers that was compiled. I am going to see if I can find more info on the Colonel. I am thinking he may have been a minister or a judge prior to his enlistment, which would give him the authority. I will get back when I have more info.

1850 census lists him as "attorney"; 1860 and 70 censuses list him as "lawyer."

So Lieutenant Colonel White is a legit person. He took command of the regiment for a short time after Colonel Woodhouse resigned before Colonel Tyler assumed command on Sep. 26. Still searching for more info.

Edit: So I have determined that if he was a lawyer at the time, he most likely could have, as long as he was certified to do so at the time.

Last edited:
The story appeared in several newspapers--but never with the names of the nurse or her groom.

Nelson Lloyd White, however, was a judge of probate before the war (I don't know if he was entitled to officiate at a marriage). After the war he became the state's attorney for Fairfield County (Connecticut). According to his GAR records, he is buried in Wooster Cemetery in Danbury, CT.

The story appeared in several newspapers--but never with the names of the nurse or her groom.

Nelson Lloyd White, however, was a judge of probate before the war (I don't know if he was entitled to officiate at a marriage). After the war he became the state's attorney for Fairfield County (Connecticut). According to his GAR records, he is buried in Wooster Cemetery in Danbury, CT.
Any relation between him relocating to Fairfield County and your screen name?

Interesting story. Especially when it references my home City. Funny how marriage was a "qualification" according to the Colonel.

When I read this demand from the Colonel, my immediate thought was that this was a case of his being well-intended but misguided in his chivalry instinct. I believe he was trying to protect her in his own way. Perhaps his logic was that, "If she gets married, men will be less inclined to take advantage of her."

I am thinking of writing a short story called "Hazardous Duty" which will be about this prespective nurse and her hubby as they try to reconcile the fact they've been volun-told to be married.

Well, it’s not like arranged marriaged didn’t happen during that time..and who know what may have happened “under cover”..*snicker*

Back