Photospheres of Antietam

I've always thought the Sharpsburg battlefield, all in all, to be one of the best. Gettysburg gets a lot of attention (no disrespect intended), but Sharpsburg really spoke to me when I was there... only battlefields I would put above it are Shiloh and Chickamauga.

Great photos... thanks again for sharing these...!

I've always thought the Sharpsburg battlefield, all in all, to be one of the best. Gettysburg gets a lot of attention (no disrespect intended), but Sharpsburg really spoke to me when I was there... only battlefields I would put above it are Shiloh and Chickamauga.

Sharpsburg??? Is that anywhere near Antietam? :sneaky:

I liked Gettysburg a lot. I think because the town has a real sense of history. You can get out and walk it. When I was in Sharpsburg it seemed disconnected from the battlefield and of a different era, Gettysburg seems more of 1863 and Sharpsburg does of 1862.

Sharpsburg??? Is that anywhere near Antietam? :sneaky:

I liked Gettysburg a lot. I think because the town has a real sense of history. You can get out and walk it. When I was in Sharpsburg it seemed disconnected from the battlefield and of a different era, Gettysburg seems more of 1863 and Sharpsburg does of 1862.
Good point, perhaps so... I tried not to spend much time in either town, but more in the outlying fields.

Agreed. Gettysburg I love and it has a special place for me but Antietam is lovely too. Actually, I'd say that it might be one of the more beautiful battlefields of the Eastern Theater. Shiloh is right up there though. Antietam also tends to be a tad quieter, just a little jog off of Hwy 70.

I was just asked yesterday what battlefield I like the most and I mentioned this as a top one. When I visited, it was foggy just like the day of the battle. Thanks for the post.

Another candidate for a September to Remember trip????

Back