Forrest Photos of Forrest from around the internet

Nathan Bedford Forrest
1-nathan-bedford-forrest-dennis-larson.jpg

by Dennis Larson

We need a Forrest photos and art gallery section! :laugh:
You've got all the material here, Diane, but are crippled by a less-than-stellar thread title; my suggestion would be to simply rename this - of course with the permission of @nyarb60 that is. One problem with the current title is that thanks to the members participating (like me!) it has devolved into a mostly-art print thread with relatively few actual photos.

Title:: Escape From Fort Donelson
By David Wright

View attachment 207155 Rather than surrender, Confederate Colonel Nathan Bedford Forrest leads his troops in the breakout from Fort Donelson in February 1862. In the early dawn Forrest and his men climb the ridge after crossing Lick Creek and in the distance he can see Fort Donelson as the early morning sun strikes the hill that would fall to the Yankee army that day.

That one is beautiful. I'm saving it. The lighting, the snow, the mystical mood of the painting. Thanks for sharing

That one is beautiful. I'm saving it. The lighting, the snow, the mystical mood of the painting. Thanks for sharing
I like it too; however, I don't think there's any eminence near Dover that would show the fort in that way or from that perspective and certainly not likely as Forrest himself could have seen escaping from Donelson as he did at night!

You've got all the material here, Diane, but are crippled by a less-than-stellar thread title; my suggestion would be to simply rename this - of course with the permission of @nyarb60 that is. One problem with the current title is that thanks to the members participating (like me!) it has devolved into a mostly-art print thread with relatively few actual photos.

By all means, change the thread title, I realized it needed a new name too.

Forrestry art is plentiful! He just lends himself to exciting paintings. Photos are very interesting, too, if few and far between. For example, I'm still looking for a photo of him with his men at the reunions - I suppose it was too soon after the war to be taking photos like that, but maybe somewhere there is one!

Last edited:
Whatever the procedure is to re name the thread, please feel free to do so, whatever you may find appropriate. The thread title
does need to be renamed, I agree. Thank You, nyarb60.

Back