NF Photographic History of the Civil War - editions?

Non-Fiction

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
I have part of one of the reprints of the venerable Photographic History of the Civil War, and often enjoy looking through it-- sometimes to see the photos, sometimes to chuckle with annoyance at the variable accuracy of the captions... anyway, one thing that's always bugged me is the quality of the photo reproductions, which are a bit grainy, like newspaper photos. I have the "Forts and Artillery / The Navies" volume of the series that was produced two-volumes-in-one; are any of the other editions better visually, or are they all about the same in the quality of the photo reproductions?

I don't think they can be? Thought so, too- ours is the edition, very grainy, light blue covers? Does make you a little crazy. Ran into the series either in Internet Archives or Hathitrust and the photos are wonderful! Hang on- will dig one up since I know what you mean.

tyler 2.jpg

Pretty good, no? Photo itself was unclear, not reprint in book. And love this slightly different angle from the ' other ' Tyler photo, must have been the same day, no? What a beast.

I have all five volumes (two in each book), and they are all the same quality. Mine are the 1987 copyrights from the Blue & Grey Press.

Back