Photographic Compilation Of Federal Enlisted Men Wearing Dark Blue Trousers In 1862 And Beyond

That's an interesting collection. Thanks for posting! I belong to a group that reenacts US Regulars (3rd US Regulars, Co. K), so I have dark blue trousers for pre-war and early war events. We wore them for the 150th Anniversary of First Manassas/Bull Run when it was 103 degrees, and it didn't help having more dark blue clothing on, but in that heat, wearing any color wool uniform was brutal. The Federal uniform does tend to look more formal with the dark blue trousers, frock coats, Hardee Hat, shoulder scales, and white gloves, so we also use them for parades, color guards, and other ceremonies.

3rd US Regulars, Co. K at the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Manassas
Regulars2.jpg

Last edited:
I've often felt that Confederates pulling off a Southwest impression should be wearing those same, dark blue trowsers. Since many of their supplies came from captured Depot stores, many of which would have been stocked before the change over to sky blue, it only stands to reason that dark blue trowsers would have been the only thing available aside from civilian clothing.

Any Southern boys out there going this route?

Back