Photo hunt: monitors in ordinary

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
Ran across this image on page 86 of Jerry Harlowe's Monitors: The Men, Machines and Mystique (Gettysburg PA: Thomas Publications, 2001), which I'd never seen before.

Harlowe_p86.jpg

The book unfortunately does not give a credit or reference for the photo... I'm trying to figure out where the original might be and if there's more information about where it may have been taken.

Yeah, I think so. But here's the thing... I'd like to be able to either establish or eliminate the possibility that the stereo image in OP was of monitors tied up at Mound City Naval Station... but I'm at a roadblock until I know something more about the photo, which was without reference/citation.

@Mark F. Jenkins , this is an old thread, wondered if you were able to ever track it down? If it's helpful, there are two buildings on the edge of the image- one's more distinct, the other barely visible. Those of you who know these places better than the back of your hand ( who spends time staring at the back of one's hands anyway? ) may recognize something?

Sorry, got lost in the old threads and found this. Then of course got curious/nosy.

monitors crop buildings.jpg

I'm not sure that washed-out structure on the right is a building... I think that's a monitor turret, roofed over against the elements. It seems to move with the vessel in @chubachus 's animation in post 2.

You're right, it's the turret belonging to the smokestack on the right. If you look on the far right on the left photo, you can just barely see another roofed turret on the other side of another smokestack, the next monitor moored in front of it. I spy a turtleback on those as well. We might have luck matching stack markings.

Ah and duh. So no help whatsoever- was hoping something solidly built on shore would be identifiable. You know that photo of ( is it Daisy? ) at Mound City? The huge hospital is in the background- can't remember off hand how close it was to the water. That faint outline of a building had me hopeful the experts could place something.

OK, just found it and scratch that. The hospital seems too far distant.
daisy mound city hosp.jpg

Back