Photo Contest 2013 - Official Announcement

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
Welcome to the CivilWarTalk 2013 Photography Contest!

The Rules for Entry:
  • Eligible Photos: Any photos YOU have taken and own the copyright to, from any date or time period, photos must be of an American Civil War subject matter. Photos used in the 2012 Photo Contest are not eligible.
  • Submission Limit: FIVE (5) photos per eligible user.
  • Eligible Users: Any registered user of CivilWarTalk that has not been banned, 13 years old or older. Newly registered users are welcome! (Mike, Ami, selected Judges, and any contest sponsors are not eligible, but Moderators are eligible to participate.)
  • How to Submit Photograph Entries:
    • Create a new thread in the CivilWarTalk Photography Contest 2013 forum.
    • Please Post ONE photo per thread please, if you plan to submit multiple photos, please open one thread for each photo. Remember, there is a limit of FIVE photos per user!
    • Please Choose a Category for your photo using the prefix tool, and Give the photo a descriptive title like... "1st New Jersey Monument at Gettysburg", "5th Maine at 137th Gettysburg" or "Reenactor Makes Coffee"
    • Upload your photograph to the forum using the "Upload a File" tool, and insert the image into the text box as a "Full Image" (not a thumbnail!)
    • Please include the exact, or approximate date and time the photograph was taken, the location, as well as any description you'd like to provide.
  • Photo Quality: It is suggested that you download the best quality photo that you can, but due to server limitations 10 megabyte attachments will be the maximum. Photos should be submitted in JPG or PNG formats. Sorry, we do not support the TIF format!
  • How Winning Photos will be picked: The Administrator (Mike), as well as 4 other judges will be announced to vote on the winners for each category. Additional awards may be awarded. A popular vote for each photo will be decided by the number of "Likes" a photo receives.
  • Deadline for Entries: Midnight on February 20th, 2013. Winners will be announced on February 28th, 2013.
  • Prizes & Awards: These are to be determined, but will be announced soon!
  • Additional Info:
    • Registered Users may click "Like" on any photo they wish to vote on as a "Fan Favorite" photo.
    • Registered Users may comment on the photos in the normal threaded conversation manner by replying under the submitted photo.
    • Registered Users may discuss the contest in The Official Discussion Thread. Please do not start a new thread in this forum unless you are entering a photo to the contest!
The Categories:
  • Reenactment
  • Battlefield
  • Cemetery
  • Monuments
  • Parade
  • Living History
  • Then & Now
  • Other
Legal:
  • Users submitting photos to the forum for this contest will retain full rights to their photographs, including ownership, but through the act of submission will also grant to the CivilWarTalk.com a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, and display the submitted photos.
  • Entrants are responsible for ensuring that they possess the right to submit a photo.
  • As always, CivilWarTalk reserves the right to delete any photos or content it deems as questionable or offensive.
  • All current forum Terms of Use apply to all contest entries.

As a newcomer, I am curious about clarifying some terms in use here. In particular, I have noticed the categories for the photo contest of Reenactment and Living History. My interpretation of these is that they are very similar . My view is that reenactment would be those who are directly associated with recreating some military action while Living History focuses on those non-soldiers who are involved with the non combative side of reenactments.

I'd be interested to get a feel for how on target my view is, or how loopy my interpretation is. Thanks!

So how long does it take from the time you post the photo on here to the time it shows up on Pinterest or do you have to do something in particular to have it show up on Pinterest?

Why would they go to Pinterest? I am in no way a member of that site however, my wife loves it. Just wondering why it would go there?

Mine was on Pinterest a few days after I posted it.
Thank you! Someone finally responded back to my question!! Yeah! I checked Pinterest again and I finally did find it. Guess panoramic pictures are tough to display since it looked all scrunched up! lol

Why would they go to Pinterest? I am in no way a member of that site however, my wife loves it. Just wondering why it would go there?

It probably helps the viewership, which as Mike has patiently tried to explain, is extremely important...and linking to other sites with huge memberships like Pinterest, is, I believe, a part of that. He'll probably correct me, but that's what my tiny fried mind thinks at the moment!

I'd like to mention that there are many more entries than there have been in the past, and so many are of such excellent, excellent, quality.

Back