Photo and location of "Mickey" House?

Thanks Andy! I really appreciate your continued help. I had tried holding the computer sideways but kept having to rotate it back and forth in order to read the text. :geek:
It sure makes it a lot easier when the map is rotated. :wavespin:

Mickeys2.jpg

Better now?

Any local McNairy or Hardin County folks here who may know of, or be in possession, of an old photograph of the "Mickey" (Michie) House? Also interested to know exactly where it was located. It is no longer standing and there is no marker to indicate its location.

I have read that "Mickey's" was located at the intersection of the the Corinth and Savannah Roads? I have also seen references to the Ridge and Bark Road. I believe that this might possibly be the present day intersection of Chamberstore Rd and Hwy 224? I am guessing that the roads have been relocated and that the intersection may not be in its original location? Does anyone know exactly where the house was located and the orientation? How large of a house was it? Any idea what it looked like? I have also seen it referred to as the "White House hospital at Mickey's" so I assume it was clad with siding and not log exterior? Were there other structures that made up the farm? Barns, smokehouse, and whatnot? Where were the dead interred? Who was the family who lived there? I have read that it was James W Michie? and that he had moved away and the property was empty? Anyone know if this is correct?
That was our house back in the early 70's. My parents bought the property (approx 45 acres) as a weekend home from our house in Memphis. The pic is of the house the way it was in 1971. I'm 2 years old and standing in front of it. In 1977, we built a new home on top of the hill behind it and the white house was sold to a neighbor (Rickman) and moved just a couple of miles away. I looked it up on google earth and it appears to still be there. The tin roof has been replaced with shingles. We found musket shells, buttons and even a bayonet in the yard. Please let me know if there's any other information you'd like.

Attachments

• 486185_10151251858116893_880661607_n.jpg
    486185_10151251858116893_880661607_n.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 91
That was our house back in the early 70's. My parents bought the property (approx 45 acres) as a weekend home from our house in Memphis. The pic is of the house the way it was in 1971. I'm 2 years old and standing in front of it. In 1977, we built a new home on top of the hill behind it and the white house was sold to a neighbor (Rickman) and moved just a couple of miles away. I looked it up on google earth and it appears to still be there. The tin roof has been replaced with shingles. We found musket shells, buttons and even a bayonet in the yard. Please let me know if there's any other information you'd like.
Here's a google earth pic of the property today. The blue is where the house originally sat.

Attachments

• michie.JPG
    michie.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 80
Wow. Thank you @mrparks I'll be pleased to read this information more completely when I get off from work and will post a complete reply when I get home. Thank you again for providing this information.

This shows where the house was moved to. I believe the roof was replaced several years ago and this is why it may appear to be a different shape than the original.
Wow! Thank you again for providing sch complete information. I dont know if you read the entire thread, but my 2x great grandfather was the brigade surgeon who selected the Michie house as the location for S.A.M. Woods' brigade hospital. I visited the location several years ago but had no idea that the original house survived.

When you guys owned the property were you ever able to determine where the dead from the hospital were buried? After visiting the site, I wondered if they might have been buried on the part of the property that is now the church cemetery? Since Dr. Noblitt's account says that they were only able to carry out one of the dead, I surmise that the rest were buried nearby.

I cant wait to revisit the area and see the house - even though it has been modified. Thank you again for reading the post and responding with such complete information!

I’m guessing the people were buried in Pebble Hill cemetery. There were no graves on our property but there were several in P.H. cemetary that dated back to that time. The house wasn’t very big. I guess for 2-3 people it would have been ok but only if you had small furnishings. If you want, I could probably draw out a floor plan so you get an idea of the setup.
A man down the road named Kellus Baker bought the house for one of his farm employees and had it moved to its present location. *Im 99% certain this is where the house is due to the size, shape and distance from the main road. When it was moved, there were some parts that didn’t make the trip. Most of the front porch, the chimney and the very back room (a mud room addition) weren’t able to be moved and were discarded.
If you look at the pic of the house, in the front and to the left it looks like a row of shrubbery. That’s actually a very short brick wall that was in poor condition but part of the original house.
In the back, there was a storm cellar as soon as you walked out the door and a medium sized wood shed about 30-40 feet behind that.
If you look up and to the left, you’ll notice the fire tower that was put there I believe in the 50’s. It’s still there today.
You mentioned in an earlier post about a doctor named Chandler. Just so happens that the people who lived directly across the road, their last name was Chandler. No idea if any relation but they were both close to 80 yrs old at the time.
On the southwest corner of the intersection there was a red brick house on a hill. That house had been used as an officer’s quarters during the war. Unfortunately, it burned down 25 or so years ago.
Man, this has really been a great adventure in my mind today. Going back and visualizing everything as I remember. I’ll go through the photo albums and see if I can find any more pictures of the house. I doubt seriously if there’s any of the interior but maybe some more of the outside.
Very happy I stumbled upon your post.

The house wasn’t very big. I guess for 2-3 people it would have been ok but only if you had small furnishings. If you want, I could probably draw out a floor plan so you get an idea of the setup.
Thanks so much! If its not too much trouble, I would really appreciate that.
Man, this has really been a great adventure in my mind today. Going back and visualizing everything as I remember. I’ll go through the photo albums and see if I can find any more pictures of the house. I doubt seriously if there’s any of the interior but maybe some more of the outside.
Would be great to see other pictures. Please post any additional views you happen to run across.
Very happy I stumbled upon your post.
Me too!~ :D I can't believe my good fortune. What do you think are the chances? Thank you so very much!

I talked to my mother earlier today. She told me that the house caught fire several years ago and is gone. The house I thought was it, actually stands in the same place and was built on the foundation to the same size. Sorry I don’t have better news.
She also confirmed that there are confederate graves in Pebble Hill cemetery although many headstones might be unreadable due to years of exposure.

Found approximate location . Set foot on the ground . Investigation starts now .

20200405_101114.jpg
20200405_101112.jpg
20200405_101110.jpg
20200405_101108.jpg

Documented by local historian who has laid eyes on old house decades ago, and backtracked route from shiloh to location. This is location of original Mickey house and Confederate hospital. Pebble hill cemetery right up the road known to have Confederate head buried there. @16thAL.

Back