Philip Sheridan, James Forsyth, Wesley Merritt, Thomas Devin & George Armstrong Custer

For future reference, here is a color photograph of the actual chair shown in the above image.
71.2009.082.0179.jpg

For future reference, here is a color photograph of the actual chair shown in the above image.View attachment 9668
Would that be the same chair as seen in most other Brady portraits? Not the one with the frills, but the ones that most people are sitting on, I've usually colorized chairs as green when I can see they're cushioned, and not leather.

The devil's in the details unfortunately. . . sometimes we have to sometimes flush him out. . .The saying is generally attributed to Gustave Flaubert (1821-80), who is often quoted as saying, 'Le bon Dieu est dans le detail' (God is in the details). Other attributions include Michelangelo, the architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and the art historian Aby Warburg. 'The Devil is in the details' is a variant of the proverb, referring to a catch hidden in the details. 'Governing is in the details''and 'The truth, if it exists, is in the details' are recent variants. Listed as an anonymous saying in the sixteenth edition of Barlett's 'Familiar Quotations,' edited by Justin Kaplan."

Would that be the same chair as seen in most other Brady portraits? Not the one with the frills, but the ones that most people are sitting on, I've usually colorized chairs as green when I can see they're cushioned, and not leather.
This is THE chair. I believe it's now in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington.

This is THE chair. I believe it's now in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington.
Is it the same that can be seen in a lot of portraits that I've been doing green? I'm a bit confused, as I've seen different chairs in the photographs I've seen.

Noticing how their foreheads are pale, and their faces have some sign of color (or sun tan). That's what I would expect from guys who spend time outdoors wearing hats. :smug:

Noticing how their foreheads are pale, and their faces have some sign of color (or sun tan). That's what I would expect from guys who spend time outdoors wearing hats. :smug:
This colorization is months old, and it's unfortunately a pretty bad one by todays standards, and I'll have to go back and re-do it when I get my tablet tomorrow or on monday to make it look appropriate, you can expect a lot of environmental portraits if the tablet-thing works out quite like I hope.

This colorization is months old, and it's unfortunately a pretty bad one by todays standards, and I'll have to go back and re-do it when I get my tablet tomorrow or on monday to make it look appropriate, you can expect a lot of environmental portraits if the tablet-thing works out quite like I hope.
If this portrait was taken during the summer months, I would say the facial color is very accurate (taking in account suntan, and wind burn - stuff like that). I like it!

It's still one of your best works....Tks Zuzah
This one was a real pain to finish, it took so long, and I'm sure you'll find mistakes, either way enjoy - feel free to criticize.

This one was a real pain to finish, it took so long, and I'm sure you'll find mistakes, either way enjoy - feel free to criticize.

Expired Image Removed
Brilliant stuff Zuzah!

Back