Philadelphia, Tennessee

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Yes, there is a Philadelphia in central Tennessee. I saw it for the first time this weekend and was marginally impressed. Needs a little maintenance and some organized interest. A small town along the railroad where some young men met their Maker on 20 Oct 1863. About 100 men each captured on each side of the argument and sent to prisons both north and south. I'll have a bit more information when I can get organized. This place is a couple of miles north of Swee****er, TN, a town that was used as headquarters for the US Army for quite some time. My ancestor, Cpl. Ellihu Weaver was knocked from his horse, captured and sent to Rock Island, Illinois for his leisure time that very cold winter. He was later transferred to a 'resort' on the Chesapeake Bay known as Point Lookout. He liked it so much, he stayed for 2 years.

larry_cockerham said:
This place is a couple of miles north of Swee****er, TN, a town that was used as headquarters for the US Army for quite some time.

LOL, Larry! The censor feature is a hoot! All it did was call attention to the hidden bad word. I am familiar with Philadelphia and Sweet Water (maybe THAT will get by the censor).

Almost unbelievable! LOL

Will Posey

(Wonder what would happen if I signed "Will" and just the first initial of my last name?)

Apparently the sensor just never recovered from salt water. The little village of Philadelphia has much potential as a visitor destination. The older looking buildings are still standing and the place has character. Seems a shame to see it settle into the dust.

There are many little towns like Philadelphia in the area. Vonore is a nearby one. We enjoy visiting these vestiges of the past, with many of their original buildings still standing. Sadly, most are empty and the commercial centers (if any) are now located out on the newer highways. Most of these towns sprang up where they are because of the railroads.

Some have potential as "destinations", but residents typically don't want a lot of tourists prowling around.

Will, since there were no public restrooms or anything else public in Philadelphia aside from the very small post office, I found relief near a local dumpster close to the converted depot. A group of folks were re-cycling mason jars (originally filled with vegetables) nearby. I walked over and asked about the war and received a fairly enthusiastic response that it is "all around here". The 20 Oct 1863 skirmish, according to the lone historical marker at the depot, must have happened mostly in the center of town. Yes, there was a flanking movement that resulted in another skirmish north of town as well. Interesting place, as was Swee****er. (Thought I'd throw one in for the sensor.)

larry_cockerham said:
... My ancestor, Cpl. Ellihu Weaver was knocked from his horse, captured and sent to Rock Island, Illinois for his leisure time that very cold winter. He was later transferred to a 'resort' on the Chesapeake Bay known as Point Lookout. He liked it so much, he stayed for 2 years.

I love the way you worded that Larry! :laugh1:

Back