Brass Napoleon Award Pets And The People They Allowed To Hang Around Them

2eyhru9.jpg

10nvp81.jpg

Two of the more interesting military mascots were lions kept as pets by the Lafayette Escadrille, a squadron of American fighter pilots in the French Air Service before the United States' entry into the First World War. The squadron, which had reputation for partying as hard on land as they fought in the air, rather appropriately named the pair Whiskey and Soda.

Both were reportedly very attached to the squadron's highest scoring ace, Raoul Lufbery, particularly Whiskey, who would follow him around like a dog. The bottom photo is of Lufbery.

The two lions later went to live in the Paris zoo.

2eyhru9.jpg

10nvp81.jpg

Two of the more interesting military mascots were lions kept as pets by the Lafayette Escadrille, a squadron of American fighter pilots in the French Air Service before the United States' entry into the First World War. The squadron, which had reputation for partying as hard on land as they fought in the air, rather appropriately named the pair Whiskey and Soda.

Both were reportedly very attached to the squadron's highest scoring ace, Raoul Lufbery, particularly Whiskey, who would follow him around like a dog. The bottom photo is of Lufbery.

The two lions later went to live in the Paris zoo.
Lions and tigers and bears, OH MY! Well, maybe not tigers, but a cute little striped kitty!

Attachments

• 2eyhru9.jpg
    2eyhru9.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 10nvp81.jpg
    10nvp81.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 32
Just spent the last 30 minutes looking for these. Came to the conclusion a) Far too many photographs, b) do not remember an awful lot of them, it's like being able to entertain oneself. Handy! Still cannot find the entire collection, no idea what I was thinking....

They'll show up. Meanwhile, wish members post would their favorite era ( or kinda ) photo of pet and pet's chosen companion. Never get tired of these. Even regimental mascots were really much-loved pets. You can't fool me- animals who maybe provided some unconditional love and loyalty during a time when all was sudden death appearing from nowhere, not lurking in shadows, rocketing at them out of brilliant sky. And ' love '? At home, ' Home ' being the furtherest thing imaginable from carnage, mud and men torn limb from limb.

Ok, so maybe the camel isn't a house pet but someone love him!

View attachment 88909

View attachment 88910

View attachment 88911

View attachment 88912

View attachment 88913

View attachment 88914

View attachment 88915
Meig's children!

View attachment 88916
You just knew Rufus Ingalls was also a big softy for animals!

View attachment 88917
One of the circus parades, forget where this one was. This fellow looks extremely well cared for.

View attachment 88918

View attachment 88919

View attachment 88920

View attachment 88921
There's a rumor that there is only one photograph of a Confederate soldier and his dog? It isn't true. There really are a few, thankfully!

View attachment 88922

View attachment 88923
No, pretty sure he's sleeping!

View attachment 88924

I LOVE THESE!
Thank you so much!

I LOVE THESE!
Thank you so much!

Three of mine are snoring around my legs at the moment, having argued about who gets to lay across the back of the sofa. They got tired of the argument and fell asleep elsewhere. So funny! If only people were like that we wouldn't need armies! You're welcome- a lot of us understand how fortunate we are they don't mind having us around. Seeing our ancestors felt the same way creates just never gets old.

Got stuck indoors while on vacation in South Carolina last week due to Hermine and watched way too much bad TV one day, but enjoyed an episode of the Dog Whisperer wherein this poor golden lab suffered from PTSD from his time in the Army and was back home trying to cope. He was afraid of sudden loud noises among other issues. They were able to rehabilitate him, but it took a few months of therapy.

I have seen it for myself many a hard nose individual, when no one was around told his dog or pet how he really felt that day because he knew that animal would never betray his trust. And never forsake his love.

24bq892.jpg

2rmxvk8.jpg

Rip was a dog made homeless during the Battle of Britain, his family perhaps killed in an air raid. Fed scraps by an Air Raid Warden, the stray terrier mix attached himself to Wardens and began following them out as they would search for survivors amidst the rubble.

Despite having no training as a search and rescue dog Rip was a natural, his keen nose and hearing detecting survivors before his adopted human handler could. Over the course of twelve months Rip was credited with saving the lives of over 100 people and was awarded the Dicken Medal, the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross. It was largely because of Rip that dogs began to be used for search and rescue work in wartime London.

24bq892.jpg
thathank younk you will

2rmxvk8.jpg

Rip was a dog made homeless during the Battle of Britain, his family perhaps killed in an air raid. Fed scraps by an Air Raid Warden, the stray terrier mix attached himself to Wardens and began following them out as they would search for survivors amidst the rubble.

Despite having no training as a search and rescue dog Rip was a natural, his keen nose and hearing detecting survivors before his adopted human handler could. Over the course of twelve months Rip was credited with saving the lives of over 100 people and was awarded the Dicken Medal, the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross. It was largely because of Rip that dogs began to be used for search and rescue work in wartime London.

Attachments

• 24bq892.jpg
    24bq892.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2rmxvk8.jpg
    2rmxvk8.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 41
Came across pictures of blockade runner Michael P. Usina and his faithful companion Tinker at the Museum of the Confederacy:

100_1595-jpg.jpg

I believe that Tinker was rescued from another vessel and attached himself to Usina, who considered the dog his good luck charm. The model of Usina's ship in the MOC has a little Tinker on the bridge behind the pilothouse (not visible in the photo I took).

Thank you ( whomever ) for moving this thread! I'm way behind looking through Ladies Tea for threads that belong in another forum, so sorry! Bet there are a huge amount belonging in Four Footed, Soldier Stories and a few others. Will get on that, promise!

Back