GRAPHIC Petersburg, Virginia. Dead Confederate soldier in trenches before Petersburg

Zuzah

Sergeant Major
23644497146_521c7b5090_k.jpg

Photo shows, according to Thomas Roche's caption, "a Rebel soldier killed in the Rebel trenches before Petersburgh [sic]. The spots and marks on his face are blood issuing from his mouth and nose. The wound is in the head, caused by a fragment of shell." (Source: David Lowe and Philip Shiman, "Substitute for a Corpse," Civil War Times, Dec. 2010, p. 40)

Colorized for Hurricane Films.

6900x5600 version

Very nicely done. This soldier was the very first colorization I ever attempted. Very poorly done and a real joke from an authenticity standpoint. There are a number of other versions of this image some showing a cannoneers ramrod, which is clear that it is a prop from some of the other versions. There is also one of this soldier with the photographers assistant laying on the ground posing as an additional "body" in the background.

One suggestion, I think this thread should be marked "Graphic" per forum standards.

Thanks for sharing.

Very nicely done. This soldier was the very first colorization I ever attempted. Very poorly done and a real joke from an authenticity standpoint. There are a number of other versions of this image some showing a cannoneers ramrod, which is clear that it is a prop from some of the other versions. There is also one of this soldier with the photographers assistant laying on the ground posing as an additional "body" in the background.

One suggestion, I think this thread should be marked "Graphic" per forum standards.

Thanks for sharing.
I thought this might've been the one with the ramrod in the background, I think I attempted that one early on, too - not my greatest success, lol.

Thank you for the heads-up, I completely blanked on that. I meant to do it but I guess I got sidetracked.

Photo shows, according to Thomas Roche's caption, "a Rebel soldier killed in the Rebel trenches before Petersburgh [sic]. The spots and marks on his face are blood issuing from his mouth and nose. The wound is in the head, caused by a fragment of shell." (Source: David Lowe and Philip Shiman, "Substitute for a Corpse," Civil War Times, Dec. 2010, p. 40)

Colorized for Hurricane Films.

6900x5600 version

This is a very eerie photo for me. I saw it and focused on the hat. I have an old photo of my grandfather wearing a hat like that. He was the grandson of a CSA soldier, who fortunately came home. (or I wouldn't be here)
300px-Newsom-159-1.jpg

Excellent work, as per usual. I will offer a small suggestion, though- the jacket is a Peter Tait Artillery version, so it technically should have a red collar and shoulder straps.

That's a good point. I should have mentioned that to Zuzah myself, but forgot. Here is a version I did of the same soldier with the proper colors for the Tate jacket.

p230832394-6.jpg

@Zuzah,

Amazing work, really brings the grimness of it all into the modern era.

Do you still take request for ACW images to be colorized?

There is one of a 7th Texas volunteer that I'd love to see done.
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

I do indeed, however it's very rare I actually get to them. I'm incredibly busy these days with school and paid commissions, but I'll definitely save it in my files and have a look at it. Feel free to start a conversation and send it to me!

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

I do indeed, however it's very rare I actually get to them. I'm incredibly busy these days with school and paid commissions, but I'll definitely save it in my files and have a look at it. Feel free to start a conversation and send it to me!

I completely understand, and will definitely send it your way! Thanks @Zuzah !

He is wearing a Artilleryman jacket....yet he also has a bayonet scaboard and a picture taken from the other side {Frassanito VII-20} he has a {Cartridge Box with big US badge on it} could he have been a artillery {Explaining artillery jacket} but not a cannoner but a Private assinged {Explaining the cartridge box and the bayonet scabard} I think Artillery weopons were Artillery swords and Pistols...can any experts please give an opinion?

LAStly were they any accounts in the Southern Historical Society Papers or the COnfederate Veteran Magaine in regard to the idenety of the CS Soliders Killed in Petersburg April 1865 seen iin these pictures?

He is wearing a Artilleryman jacket....yet he also has a bayonet scaboard and a picture taken from the other side {Frassanito VII-20} he has a {Cartridge Box with big US badge on it} could he have been a artillery {Explaining artillery jacket} but not a cannoner but a Private assinged {Explaining the cartridge box and the bayonet scabard} I think Artillery weopons were Artillery swords and Pistols...can any experts please give an opinion?

LAStly were they any accounts in the Southern Historical Society Papers or the COnfederate Veteran Magaine in regard to the idenety of the CS Soliders Killed in Petersburg April 1865 seen iin these pictures?
Actually its a Peter Tait jacket he's wearing, which were imported from Ireland, issued late in the war and had the red trim. The color of the jacket was blue-gray kersey/cadet gray and the shoulder straps and collar were red. Despite that, they were in fact issued to infantrymen.

As many know, there's a couple other photos of him from a different angle with an artillery sponge lying by his side which has led many to believe he was an artilleryman. He was likely an infantryman but its possible the photographer just placed the artillery sponge there, perhaps because they thought he was an artilleryman due to the red trim.

Back