Petersburg National Battlefield (NPS Tour Stops)

Breakthrough of Petersburg, Virginia : Following the Union success at Five Forks on April 1, Grant and Meade determined to make a frontal assault on Lee's defenses at Petersburg with four corps of infantry. In the predawn hours of April 2, Gen. Horatio Wright's Sixth corps crept out of their trenches and charged across no-man's land, punching a hole in the Confederate line. In the confusion following the breakthrough, Confederate Gen. A.P. Hill was killed trying to reach his troops. Elements of the Second and Ninth corps made similar assaults elsewhere along the siege line. A handful of Confederates at Fort Gregg staved off the Union Twenty-fourth corps' assault, preventing the Federals from entering the city that night. But the Federals' main objective—breaking the Confederate line—had been achieved. When nightfall put an end to the fighting, Lee ordered the evacuation of Petersburg and Richmond. After 292 days of siege warfare, Grant had captured Petersburg, and caused the fall of the capitol of the Confederacy.

* The Petersburg National Battlefield (Main Entrance off Route 36)

View attachment 63521

* Tour Stop - 1 : Confederate Battery 5 (The Dictator)

View attachment 63522

* Tour Stop - 2 : Confederate Battery 8

View attachment 63523

* Tour Stop - 3 : Confederate Battery 9

View attachment 63524

* Tour Stop - 4 : Harrison Creek

View attachment 63525

* Tour Stop - 5 : Fort Stedman

View attachment 63526

* Tour Stop - 8 : The Crater (Union Line - Opening to Mine Shaft)

View attachment 63527

* The Crater

View attachment 63528

* The Battle of Petersburg Memorial

View attachment 63529

* The Pamplin Historical Park (Union Breakthrough)

View attachment 63530

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2012)
Great pics again, Bill. Pamplin Park has become one of my favorite ACW stops. Their walk-thru displays in the museum are first rate and the personnel there are among the best anywhere.

I want to say it's a scene with Lincoln and his son in it but don't quote me on it its been years since I watched it.

I think it may be the setting for what was arguably the most idiotic and certainly most maudlin scene in the entire film, right at the beginning when Lincoln encounters the two soldiers, one black and the other white, who recite back to him the Gettysburg Address at the train station. No doubt this was in part to "remind" an audience on modern-day Bozos just who Abraham Lincoln was.

I think it may be the setting for what was arguably the most idiotic and certainly most maudlin scene in the entire film, right at the beginning when Lincoln encounters the two soldiers, one black and the other white, who recite back to him the Gettysburg Address at the train station. No doubt this was in part to "remind" an audience on modern-day Bozos just who Abraham Lincoln was.

Yes!!! forgot that one. That is the setting for it as well

Yes, that scene was so contrived and unrealistic. It is unfortunate that it happened right at the beginning of the film because it left a negative impression on me that I never quite overcame.

I used to work at Tour Stop 3. I was there in the early 80's. It was a great place to work, but another time for sure. They stopped using seasonals at some point. I haven't been there in over 20 years. I haven't forgotten the area. we were close to the Jerusalem Plank Road. It was a Federal rear area then. A lot of memories tied up in this discussion and in the pictures. I have been in the Southside Railway Depot a few times, in all the rooms. It was an interesting place to see. I was all over the Richmond area. The Patrick Henry church was small, but I remember it well. When I was bored on my days off I would go to the Quartermaster Museum at Fort Lee. I even remember talking to people who had went through the Crater Tunnel and Fort Hell. That area was a K-Mart parking lot then. I loved the place.

Last edited:
Yes, that scene was so contrived and unrealistic. It is unfortunate that it happened right at the beginning of the film because it left a negative impression on me that I never quite overcame.

Agree completely but I try hard to remember that - sadly - very few people get that.

For pure history geeks, most of it is a throwaway but to me the main question is not how accurate it is but whether it gives the historically illiterate - ie. anyone whose been in a public school in the last 30 years - a reasonably true look at the man it's about.

And I think that, in a Classics Illustrated (boy, does THAT date me.or what), Cliffs Notes kind of a way it pro ably helps some people get a handle.on him.

It's like the Mrs Bixby letter, which is made funny by the fact that it's unclear whether more than 2 of her son's were killed and at least one was a deserter: doesn't matter so much who actually wrote it. More important that people understand the spirit in which it was written.*

To understand Lincoln - If that's even really possible - is to understand America. Men habe spent entire lifetimes trying to pick the locks of his mind and his soul and died unsure that they even got close. So we can forgive drive-by millennial who got five minutes of explanation of him and 3 of them.were how he was a racist.

*well, that and the immortal Harve Presnell's reading of it in Private Ryan. If he doesn't send a chill up your spine you are, quite simply, dead.

Last edited:
@Buckeye Bill - how long did you spend during your tour of Petersburg.
@KLSDAD, my son and I arrived at City Point, Virginia (Grant's HQ) around 1000 hours. Then we arrived at the Petersburg National Battlefield visitor center around noon. We stopped by the Blue Tour Stops and finished walking around the downtown historic district at 1800 hours. My son and I toured the Five Forks National Battlefield the next morning. The Five Forks National Battlefield is part of the Petersburg National Battlefield. We did not stop by the Confederate earthworks : Red Tour Stops.

I would advise the visitor to plan a full day to visit all of the Petersburg National Battlefield tour stops (Blue & Red). And don't forget to visit the Pamplin Historic Park! You can spend a whole day at this park. This park is a pure gem!!!

Bill

* I observed this bumper sticker on the rear bumper of a Toyota Prius at City Point.

Attachments

• IMG_20160512_173822.jpg
    IMG_20160512_173822.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
* Tour Stop - 1 : Confederate Battery 5 (The Dictator)

View attachment 63522

Breakthrough of Petersburg, Virginia : Following the Union success at Five Forks on April 1, Grant and Meade determined to make a frontal assault on Lee's defenses at Petersburg with four corps of infantry. In the predawn hours of April 2, Gen. Horatio Wright's Sixth corps crept out of their trenches and charged across no-man's land, punching a hole in the Confederate line. In the confusion following the breakthrough, Confederate Gen. A.P. Hill was killed trying to reach his troops. Elements of the Second and Ninth corps made similar assaults elsewhere along the siege line. A handful of Confederates at Fort Gregg staved off the Union Twenty-fourth corps' assault, preventing the Federals from entering the city that night. But the Federals' main objective—breaking the Confederate line—had been achieved. When nightfall put an end to the fighting, Lee ordered the evacuation of Petersburg and Richmond. After 292 days of siege warfare, Grant had captured Petersburg, and caused the fall of the capitol of the Confederacy.

* The Petersburg National Battlefield (Main Entrance off Route 36)

View attachment 63521

* Tour Stop - 2 : Confederate Battery 8

View attachment 63523

* Tour Stop - 3 : Confederate Battery 9

View attachment 63524

* Tour Stop - 4 : Harrison Creek

View attachment 63525

* Tour Stop - 5 : Fort Stedman

View attachment 63526

* Tour Stop - 8 : The Crater (Union Line - Opening to Mine Shaft)

View attachment 63527

* The Crater

View attachment 63528

* The Battle of Petersburg Memorial

View attachment 63529

* The Pamplin Historical Park (Union Breakthrough)

View attachment 63530

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2012)
Thanks for posting these great photos! I particulary like that mortar....

Back