Petersburg/Richmond Petersburg Artillery

redbob

Lt. Colonel
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
Has anyone ever seen a breakdown of the artillery used during the siege of Petersburg?

Brett Schulte's webpage, Beyond the Crater, has individual breakdowns of each regiment and battery by offensive. Look up any individual battery to see what material he's uncovered on them here - http://www.beyondthecrater.com/resources/units/.

The official records also usually include a list of where most Union batteries were located during each offensive. It changes up from month to month. Confederate artillery locations are spottier.

You also might be interested in reading Henry L. Abbot's Siege Artillery in the Campaigns Against Richmond - Google Books.

Brett Schulte's webpage, Beyond the Crater, has individual breakdowns of each regiment and battery by offensive. Look up any individual battery to see what material he's uncovered on them here - http://www.beyondthecrater.com/resources/units/.

The official records also usually include a list of where most Union batteries were located during each offensive. It changes up from month to month. Confederate artillery locations are spottier.

You also might be interested in reading Henry L. Abbot's Siege Artillery in the Campaigns Against Richmond - Google Books.
Very helpful-thank you.

I would think the various issues of Blue & Gray Magazine on Petersburg would have maps showing artillery placements and the gun types.

Very helpful-thank you.

Brett Schulte's webpage, Beyond the Crater

Great Site, Thanks @ealexander1865, I would agree that the amount and movement of Union arty in and out of Petersburg during the siege was massive. The OR's would have the complete timeline, units and guns. If you need the atlas I have one a Dear Friend gave me you can borrow.:D

Has anyone ever seen a breakdown of the artillery used during the siege of Petersburg?

This is a really, really understudied portion of the campaign. I firmly believe the raw data is out there if someone wants to give it a go. I've got the Confederate Inspection Reports for most of 64-65, and that has helped in some cases to fill out guns types and number of tubes. The locations of various batteries at specific moments in time seem scarcer based on my experiences so far. That said, even people who have been studying Petersburg for a long, long time, like Bryce Suderow, do not seem to have the details, at least not at the level I'm looking for. It is especially difficult for the Confederates. Richard Sommers in Richmond Redeemed opened my eyes to the fact that you CAN find the details, or enough to piece together most of what you are looking for. It just isn't nearly as easy as for most other campaigns.

This is a really, really understudied portion of the campaign. I firmly believe the raw data is out there if someone wants to give it a go. I've got the Confederate Inspection Reports for most of 64-65, and that has helped in some cases to fill out guns types and number of tubes. The locations of various batteries at specific moments in time seem scarcer based on my experiences so far. That said, even people who have been studying Petersburg for a long, long time, like Bryce Suderow, do not seem to have the details, at least not at the level I'm looking for. It is especially difficult for the Confederates. Richard Sommers in Richmond Redeemed opened my eyes to the fact that you CAN find the details, or enough to piece together most of what you are looking for. It just isn't nearly as easy as for most other campaigns.
i Don’t believe that anyone has tried to name the batteries on the confederate side at Petersburg. That should be the job of the park, but they haven’t done anything.

i Don’t believe that anyone has tried to name the batteries on the confederate side at Petersburg. That should be the job of the park, but they haven’t done anything.
Let me give you a tip. The batteries along the east face of Petersburg remained in place throughout the entire siege. I believe they were all artillery pieces from Beauregard’s department.

Brett does not break down where the confederate batteries were in the forts. Neither do the many different books on the siege of Petersburg. I was surprised that Wilson Greene didn’t reveal what batteries were in the forts, but he did not.

Back