Peruvian Casemate ship Loa

http://ericknavasmodelismonaval.blogspot.com/2016/01/bap-loa.html

This page shows 3 firing ports per broadside...no data in concrete though.

If you only ship 2 cannon, why would you need the superfluous broadside port?

BAP Loa 1.JPG
BAP Loa 3.JPG
BAP Loa 4.JPG

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Her constructor was George S Backus, a "North American" and she was built to the plans of CSS Richmond, adapted to the conversion.

Interestingly, the Spanish version of Wiki claims she was based upon the CSS Raleigh...(Edit - which WAS a Richmond class. Got it - never mind my babbling...)

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa_(goleta)

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Last edited:
Interestingly, the Spanish version of Wiki claims she was based upon the CSS Raleigh...(Edit - which WAS a Richmond class. Got it - never mind my babbling...)

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa_(goleta)

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
I find the term "Richmond class" very irritating - THERE WAS NO SUCH THING. the six CSN vessels plus Loa were based on John L. Porters 150ft PP ironclad gunboat plan ,with Loa being a " copy" of James Mead's CSS Richmond as completed.
The six CSN vessels were at best part sisters.
There is also a very faint possibility of there being an eighth vessel, constructed in Brazil, but I have not made any detailed attempt to prove it.

John Randolph Tucker.

I keep trying to post a link to his short bio on Wikipedia, but the silly CWT website keeps trying to turn it into a media link. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Randolph_Tucker_(naval_officer)

""Note the high freeboard and the shape of the stern, both different to the "typical CS ironclad."

Unusual. I wonder what the reasoning behind that free board feature was?

""Note the high freeboard and the shape of the stern, both different to the "typical CS ironclad."

Unusual. I wonder what the reasoning behind that free board feature was?
Master Carpenter James Meads completed CSS Richmond with what seems to me to be an almost merchant vessel type stern, why he did that I don't know ,but he may have thought it gave a better run aft for water around the rudder and screw. I thin Loa had a high freeboard because her casemate and added hull sponson was not as heavily constructed as as CSN vessel, and therefore didn't reduce the freeboard as much.

Back