Personally I like period art work

General Butler

First Sergeant
No knock against the wildly popular contemporary and very talented artists, I have about 20 period pieces of "art" and if you like i can post them from time to time like several done by Julian Scott the MOH recipient...fifer from VT and of course simply solider drawings, paintings as they saw the leaders and the war. In this one, Gen'l Butler looks grand doesnt he...LOL

Butler sketch with Black troops.jpg

I said I would post some other period art work...holler when it becomes too much or boring. This life size "bust" of Vermont general that received the Medal of Honor at Cedar Creek was done from life in 1864 and done by (and signed/dated) by Julian Scott, also a Medal of Honor recipient as a fifer (not drummer) from VT.
Julian Scott signed and dated life size sketch of General MOH recipient from VT.jpg

Thanks for posting those pictures, I’m no art critic but I really like period art, the last picture for example is great, a very simple piece of art but it contains quite a bit of detail, I particularly like the foot prints in the snow and the guy leaning out of the tent, I wonder what he was thinking or looking at!

I said I would post some other period art work...holler when it becomes too much or boring. This life size "bust" of Vermont general that received the Medal of Honor at Cedar Creek was done from life in 1864 and done by (and signed/dated) by Julian Scott, also a Medal of Honor recipient as a fifer (not drummer) from VT.View attachment 342081
Who is the general?

I also like original period art. It's true that the artists weren't all equally gifted with talent, but there's something genuine about their work. It looks to me like you have some good examples in the collection, and I'd certainly enjoy seeing more of them.

Thought I would share a couple of others...what do you think? The Lincoln silhouette looks to be not 'drawn per se but made iwht ink dots. The back is marked that it is Lincoln and down in 1864. The cross stitch is "art-like" this very handsome piece was done by a sweetheart for her man in the Union artillery and in its original frame.

Period cross stitch for Union Artillery .jpg

Period original ink silo of Lincoln and so maked on back.jpg

Love that sketch. There's an "immediacy" to it -- it's lively. I wonder where he got the peacock plume?
Major, I suspect this is a Northern VA scene as Scott was assigned to sketch after his wounding and earning his MOH...remember he is just an untrained teenager at this time. Maybe it's Cedar Creek area, that would be my guess and as anyone knows, Cedar Creek VA is simply filled with wild peacocks!

Back