Period correct?

Teege

Cadet
Does this knife look correct to be used around 1860-1865 there's a story behind it that it belonged to a well known confederate but if it doesn't look correct no use to tell anymore.

IMG_20210127_122326_0.jpg

IMG_20210127_122148_2.jpg

IMG_20210127_122046_1.jpg

At a glance I would say not really. A Texan with access to Mexican influenced gear maybe. The style of knife isn’t out of line for the period but it was a style of knife common around Italy at the time and usually quite small. Mine has around a 3” blade. It’s a small camp or patch knife.

Part of the story behind it was the person enjoyed apples but not the skin and would slice it off supposedly with this knife

Years ago I spent countless hours at library's thumbing through civil war books looking for a picture of him with it needless to say I never found one

I have to agree with @johan_steele its just not a style that you see during the CW period. The handle shape is a tell.

Part of the story behind it was the person enjoyed apples but not the skin and would slice it off supposedly with this knife
I would question such simply a story because the use of folding pocket knives was so prevalent to men of the period. While anything is possible as @ucvrelics mentioned the style of handle combined with the blade scream post ACW to me.

Here is a thread with some period knives.

Years ago I spent countless hours at library's thumbing through civil war books looking for a picture of him with it needless to say I never found
I would question such simply a story because the use of folding pocket knives was so prevalent to men of the period. While anything is possible as @ucvrelics mentioned the style of handle combined with the blade scream post ACW to me.

Here is a thread with some period knives.
Thanks for the input I appreciate it

Back