"Period Correct" and "Inspired" Reproduction Fabric

LoriAnn

Retired User
I just saw this sale at Craftsy: Boundless Civil War Reproduction Fabric.

Thought I would share it since it's on sale at $5/yard. I don't know if this would work for dresses, but it might for quilts! (Or anything else you'd like to sew. Who says we can't have CW-inspired hot pads? :D )

I also don't know how authentic the patterns are. But still ~ it's a fabric sale, and it's Civil War inspired.

Perhaps we can use this thread for similar links in the future. If you run across fabric you think someone here might like, please feel free to post it.

Thought I would share it since it's on sale at $5/yard. I don't know if this would work for dresses, but it might for quilts! (Or anything else you'd like to sew. Who says we can't have CW-inspired hot pads? :D )

I also don't know how authentic the patterns are. But still ~ it's a fabric sale, and it's Civil War inspired.

Perhaps we can use this thread for similar links in the future. If you run across fabric you think someone here might like, please feel free to post it.
They have a sale on strips and charm squares of the same fabrics. I think I'm going to pick up a bundle, you can get a lot of mini quilting out of a 2.5" strip.

They have a sale on strips and charm squares of the same fabrics. I think I'm going to pick up a bundle, you can get a lot of mini quilting out of a 2.5" strip.
Woo! I am always happy to enable...er...help another crafter. :D

I have no clue what I'd do with this fabric, but I kinda wanna buy some anyway. Which is dangerous. That's how one ends up with a mega stash.

ETA: Plus I have fabric for 3 more dresses and 1 pair of yoga pants, patiently waiting for me. :whistling: And I just shoved those aside for embroidery projects.

Woo! I am always happy to enable...er...help another crafter. :D

I have no clue what I'd do with this fabric, but I kinda wanna buy some anyway. Which is dangerous. That's how one ends up with a mega stash.

ETA: Plus I have fabric for 3 more dresses and 1 pair of yoga pants, patiently waiting for me. :whistling: And I just shoved those aside for embroidery projects.
I could use a lighter vest. Something colorful but lighter than the black broadcloth double breasted one I have now. hint, hint. I don't sew but I do buy.

Sushhhh. I won't tell anyone if you don't tell anyone....:wink:

I could use a lighter vest. Something colorful but lighter than the black broadcloth double breasted one I have now. hint, hint. I don't sew but I do buy.
I'm brand new. I make dresses, but I can't call myself a "dressmaker" yet ~ I don't have all the skills worthy of the title. But I know someone who does! Paging @Hannah . :smile:

Not all of the prints shown in this ad are appropriate for the Civil War period. It's best to bone up by studying original fabrics and not take the seller's word that they are reproductions. Also, this firm sells no more than a 4 yard cut, and a dress requires about 7 1/2 yards.

Not all of the prints shown in this ad are appropriate for the Civil War period. It's best to bone up by studying original fabrics and not take the seller's word that they are reproductions.
Yeah, I figured this could be the case. Which why I posted a note of caution in the OP. And the joke about hot pads. :smile:

I really was thinking more along the line of quilts and smaller projects. If I ever decide to make a soldier's cot quilt, I would consider CW-inspired fabrics and not necessarily box myself in with authentic repro fabric. It would be for my family and not something for a reenactment.

That said, if anyone would like to link to authentic repro fabric, they are welcome to do so. :thumbsup:

I adjusted the title for some additional clarification. Right now, I'm thinking we could do this one of two ways:

* Leave the title as is.

* When someone posts a link to fabric, indicate in that post whether the fabric is period correct, "inspired", or unknown. For example, my first post is "unknown", since I have no clue. Mary Dee said not ALL of the prints are correct, which I'm guessing means at least one is?

Or

* Make this thread title "Civil War-Inspired Repro Fabric", where those not interested in complete authenticity ~ but love the look ~ can find some pretty things.

* Make an entirely separate thread for "Period Correct Repro Fabric", where reenactors can contribute links, and those interested in appropriate fabric can find the information more quickly.

Er. Or does something like that belong in the Reenactors forum? :unsure:

See what fabric sales do to me? Suggestions welcome.

I'm here!

Sometimes finding good fabrics can really be a challenge. I often go to fabric.com either for solid prints or for something that genuinely looks historically correct. I've got three fashion books so I'm always looking over them.

I got very lucky, and found cotton fabric at Joanns when I made my dress. I liked it, the color and the print. Later on I saw a similiar pattern on another website offering correct fabric. I chose the lace because it reminded me of crocheted antimaccassars I got from my grandmother! Lol.

I remembered this thread and came back because I'm so excited to share my haul! We just had a White Elephant silent auction day at the quilt club last week and I picked up a whole bunk of floral fabrics for dirt cheap! I love buying other peoples stuffs! LOL! Not sure if any of these would be considered period correct but, eh, why the heck not! Maybe I could use them in some way or another?!
20232718_10209912955888635_9023488208801631383_o.jpg

We just had a White Elephant silent auction day at the quilt club last week and I picked up a whole bunk of floral fabrics for dirt cheap!
:dance::frantic::dance::skip:

I examined each one and have decided I love them all. You and I have similar tastes in fabric. Congratulations on such a fun fabric haul. Put it on the floor and roll around in it in celebration!

(Tell me I'm not the only one who does this.)

There was much rolling and a good time was had by all! :bounce:
You should see me at the fabric stores and yarn shops! I'm lucky I don't get arrested!
My best friend and I were both home economists. We were in the going out of business sale at JC Penney's last week, and both of us reached to touch a fabric at the same time... we started laughing hysterically because neither of us can just LOOK... we have to touch!

I remembered this thread and came back because I'm so excited to share my haul! We just had a White Elephant silent auction day at the quilt club last week and I picked up a whole bunk of floral fabrics for dirt cheap! I love buying other peoples stuffs! LOL! Not sure if any of these would be considered period correct but, eh, why the heck not! Maybe I could use them in some way or another?!
View attachment 151513
Looks like all but the solids will do very well for period- looking quilting or small items. That pink second from bottom left looks like some fabric in one of my older turn of the century quilts.

Back