Period cap square or not?

Biscoitos

First Sergeant
Has anyone ever seen a definitely Civil War era cap square of this design?

Can it be said that with certainty that this is not of Civil War era manufacture?

Any information based on knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

Square headed bolts w/coarse threads were more common to the era than what we consider modern bolts to be were.

Being a builder of CW cannons I can tell they are NOT CW Era. These were probable made just to hold the gun in place in a display. They are way to small and not removable as CW era cap squares were. It would not take but a few rounds fired for these to come out.
1600004689697.png

Looks like an homemade pair. The bolts look like old lag bolts About 3/8” X 3” long. The wood looks almost rotten and is split where the the bolt are. The Cannon it self maybe it was was somewhere else and they moved it and put it here for a display!

Wouldn't an original cap square on a working piece be designed to hinge to remove the gun tube? This looks like something intended to be permanent, not a functioning artillery piece.

Agree with @ucvrelics on this one.

Looks like an homemade pair. The bolts look like old lag bolts About 3/8” X 3” long. The wood looks almost rotten and is split where the the bolt are. The Cannon it self maybe it was was somewhere else and they moved it and put it here for a display!
The cannon was moved to its current location and mounted on the carriage built of strong solid oak sometime between 1935 and 1955, it has not been maintained or refurbished since then. That is still standing is a testament to how strong the oak was and to how well, if not historically accurate, the carriage was built.

The question that I posted was if it was possible that the cap square was actually made pre 1865.

I think ucvrelics has addressed that question.

If anyone else has information concerning my question, whether they agree or disagree with ucvrelics, or have anything relevant to say, I would like to hear from them.

Back