Percheron horses during the war

EJ Zander

Sergeant Major
Was looking at pics and came across a few that maybe of some. At first they had a tough start getting established in the US. The first being imported in 1839. One would imagine more then a few served. Here are some possibles I found. Great breed.
army-mail-wagon-jpg.jpg

wagons-jpg.jpg

upload_2018-11-17_19-56-20.jpeg

supplywagonscivwar-png.png

Those are big horses. If I was around one I would insure one did not step on my foot.

Thank you! I've looked at that top photo ( mail wagon at City Point? ) around a hundred times and those gigis are in other photos too- never occurred to me the scale is off compared to something not 17 plus hands. Amish around here raise them- one Amish breeder allowed you to go see his draft stallion. Really nice of him! He said that big guy was 18 hands- and still mellow. It was like looking at the best monument ever.

Sorry, smitten by drafts! Best horse I ever rubbed elbows with was a draft cross.

Is it Sear's ' Gettysburg ' where Confederates got their hands on some good PA drafts then changed their minds? Poor things were shredded after a gallop across a field. You could see where it was clear they'd never make it back to the border- plus needing an awful lot of feed.

Percheron in the UK, some century past. From an old book on ' Great Horses ', discussing the genesis from war horse to farm animal.
draft percheron.jpg

Probably. They and their kind where the semi trucks of their day. Not built for speed but can haul all day at a slower pace. Alittle lacking in suspension and gas mileage was nothing to write home about, lol.
Fantastic disposition. Had one that would put his head on my shoulder when running a chainsaw. Had to see what was going on.

Is it Sear's ' Gettysburg ' where Confederates got their hands on some good PA drafts then changed their minds? Poor things were shredded after a gallop across a field. You could see where it was clear they'd never make it back to the border- plus needing an awful lot of feed.

View attachment 211275
I was just reading about this but cannot remember where. They were certainly not cavalry horses, but might have been good artillery horses. I have always loved horses, but have to say the drafts are my favourites. The first place I headed for at fairs was the horse barn. All the brasses and tack hanging about, the smell, and the very obvious affection that the owners had for these beasties were intriguing. There is little that is more worth watching than a multi-horse hitch circling an arena.
This video comes from the Royal Winter Fair held in Toronto very year.

Percherons continue to serve, many with Police mounted patrols. Incredibly strong, inquisitive and very calm, all attributes necessary for crowd control.

Back