• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Mixed Dishes Pepperpot

pepperpot
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1860)
256px-Pepperpot_%2816135006279%29.jpg

Ingredients:

4 lbs. tripe​
water​
1 tsp. salt per quart of water​
4 calf's feet​
4 onions​
1 small bunch of sweet herbs​
4 potatoes​
2oz. butter rolled in flour​
Cayenne pepper to season​
optionally add additional spices​
simple dumplings​
flour​
butter​
a little water​

Instructions:

Cut into small pieces four pounds of tripe; boil it in as much water as will cover it, putting a teaspoonful of salt to every quart of water; let it boil three hours; then have ready four calf's feet, which have been dressed with the skin on; put them into the pot with the tripe, and add as much water as will cover them, also four onions sliced, and a small bunch of sweet herbs chopped finely; half an hour before the pepper pot is done, add four potatoes cut in pieces; when these are tender, add two ounces of butter rolled in flour, and season the soup with Cayenne pepper; make some little dumplings of flour and butter and a little water; drop them into the soup; when the vegetables are sufficiently soft, serve it. The calf's feet may be served with or without drawn butter. Any kind of spice may be added. If allspice or cloves are used, the grains should be put in whole.​
1634304945522.png

Photo by Simon Abrams, CC 2.0

pepper-pot
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1861)
1634307298476.png

Ingredients:

3 lbs. beef​
1/2 lb. lean ham (optional)​
1 bunch of dried thyme​
2 onions​
2 large potatoes​
4 quarts water​
1 large fowl (optional)​
1/2 lb. pickled pork​
meat of 1 lobster​
some small suet dumplings (walnut sized)​
1/2 peck spinach​
salt and Cayenne for seasoning​

Instructions:

Stew gently in four quarts of water till reduced to three, three pounds 0f beef, half a pound of lean ham, a bunch of dried thyme, two onions, two large potatoes pared and sliced; then strain it through a colander, and add a large fowl, cut into joints and skinned, half a pound of pickled pork, sliced, the meat of one lobster, minced, and some small suet dumplings the size of a walnut. When the fowl is well boiled, add half a peck of spinach that has been boiled and rubbed through a colander; season with salt and Cayenne. It is very good without the lean ham and fowl.​

According to editor of "Civil War Recipes, Receipts from the Pages of Godey's Lady's Book", this soup often called Philadelphia Pepperpot, is said to have been created by a Pennsylvania Dutch cook in George Washington's army during the siege at Valley Forge. Her source is "Cooks, Gluttons and Gourmets" by Betty Wason.

However, Karen Hess in her commentaries for "The Virginia House-Wife" by Mary Randolph, believes it originated in the West Indies long before the Revolutionary war.

Last edited by a moderator:
City Tavern West Indies Pepper Pot Soup

3/4 lb salt-cured pork shoulder
3/4 lb salt-cured beef shoulder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and chopped
1 bunch scallions, chopped ( 1 cup )
1 lb taro root, peeled and sliced
4 quarts chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon freshly ground allspice ( must be fresh )
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 lb callaloo or collard greens, rinsed and chopped
salt and pepper

In a large stockpot, saute the pork and beef in oil over high heat for 10 minutes; until brown. add the onion, garlic and Scotch bonnet pepper; saute for 3-5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.

Add the scallions and saute for 3 minutes. Add the taro root and saute for 3-5 minutes more, until translucent.

Add the chicken stock, bay leaves. thyme, allspice and ground pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook about 30 minutes, until the meat and taro root are tender.

Stir in the callaloo. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until wilted.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a tureen or divide among individual soup bowls.

Notes:

To salt-cure pork shoulder, choose meat that appears well-marbled. Then rub with coarse (kosher) salt and refrigerate for at least 3 days. Wash the salt off the meat before cooking as directed.

To salt-cure beef shoulder, choose meat that appears well-marbled. Then rub with coarse (kosher) salt and refrigerate at least 3 days. Wash the salt off the meat before cooking as directed.

The only substitution you can make in this recipe and still achieve the intended flavor is to use collard greens instead of callaloo, the leafy top of the taro root. You can find both the taro root and callaloo at most Asian and West Indian markets.

Recipe from"The City Tavern Cookbook" by Walter Stalb.

The City Tavern is located in Philadelphia, Pa. It is a must to dine at when in the City. It was the tavern that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and other prominent men of that era ate their meals. John Adams said it served suppers that were "as elegant as was ever laid on a table". In 1789, this landmark held a banquet for George Washington as he passed through Philadelphia en route to New York for his presidential inauguration. It is know for its authentic recipes, including ones from Thomas Jefferson and Martha Washington.

This recipe for Pepper-Pot is from "Civil War Recipes, Receipts from the Pages of Godey's Lady's Book", 1860 and 1862.

"Stew gently in four quarts of water till reduced to three, three pounds 0f beef, half a pound of lean ham, a bunch of dried thyme, two onions, two large potatoes pared and sliced; then strain it through a colander, and add a large fowl, cut into joints and skinned, half a pound of pickled pork, sliced, the meat of one lobster, minced, and some small suet dumplings the size of a walnut. When the fowl is well boiled, add half a peck of spinach that has been boiled and rubbed through a colander; season with salt and Cayenne. It is very good without the lean ham and fowl."

According to editor of this book, this soup often called Philadelphia Pepperpot, is said to have been created by a Pennsylvania Dutch cook in George Washington's army during the siege at Valley Forge. Her source is "Cooks, Gluttons and Gourmets" by Betty Wason. However, Karen Hess in her commentaries for "The Virginia House-Wife" by Mary Randolph, believes it originated in the West Indies long before the Revolutionary war.

This recipe is also known to use tripe and cayenne pepper. This version does not use tripe, but rather salt pork.
My West Indian family members from Barbados make it with tripe. It is sooooo delicious.

Today, December 29th is national Pepper Pot Day. Thought bring this thread back up. Also was so pleased to receive Godey's Civil War Recipes, Receipts book for Christmas. It is a wonderful addition to my cookbook collection. It was from my husband..

After we read Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson in my English classes, the kids work in groups to create a newspaper that would have been written in Philadelphia in 1793, at the time of the book and the biggest outbreak of yellow fever in Philadelphia history. They're supposed to include both things about the fever, historical events of the time period, people who were in Philadelphia and the United States at the time, and also cultural things, like dress, games and food. Every year, several kids include recipes for pepper pot, since it's mentioned as being on the menu of the coffee house in the book. I know you can also sometimes get pepper pot at the old City Tavern in Philly, as well.

I love the original recipe - with today's prices, that would be an absurdly expensive pot of stew! Season your meat with meat and also more meat. I'm also very perplexed about what is going on with that colander.

There's Guyanese Pepper Pot! Very different and a holiday dish they like to eat for Christmas breakfast. It will wake you up, no doubt about it. West Indian cooking is complex, like India - very different blends of spices and unaccustomed flavors. I think a people's traditional food is the best way to understand them! Here's a good looking recipe for the Guyanese version...but watch the cassareep (most is fake) and the wiri wiri peppers...they are HOT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 118850

This recipe for Pepper-Pot is from "Civil War Recipes, Receipts from the Pages of Godey's Lady's Book", 1860 and 1862

I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with your post per se, but I went to a very famous old Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles once (opened in the teens) and had their very famous green corn tamale, a recipe in the restaurant since its opening. Well, didn't think much of it as I ordered, only that it sounded good, but when it came and I took the first bite? I swear to goodness I felt as though I had traveled back in time. I just KNEW that this was from the early days of Los Angeles (my home city) and it was astounding. But more, that a food could transport you/me. It was like talking to ancestors. I loved it. Your post made me think of this, how food can transport you. I'd like to try your version of this pepper pot. I've never heard of this dish. Anyway, thank you for sharing.

I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with your post per se, but I went to a very famous old Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles once (opened in the teens) and had their very famous green corn tamale, a recipe in the restaurant since its opening. Well, didn't think much of it as I ordered, only that it sounded good, but when it came and I took the first bite? I swear to goodness I felt as though I had traveled back in time. I just KNEW that this was from the early days of Los Angeles (my home city) and it was astounding. But more, that a food could transport you/me. It was like talking to ancestors. I loved it. Your post made me think of this, how food can transport you. I'd like to try your version of this pepper pot. I've never heard of this dish. Anyway, thank you for sharing.
In Asia pepper pot and hot pot have been around for at least a 1000 years.it may have originate from Mongolia where they would have freezing temperatures in the winter.

Back