Peninsula Campaign, 1862. Union soldiers posted on a wharf.

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
Union soldiers posing at a wharf in Yorktown, Virginia, during the Peninsula Campaign, May 1862. A steamer named Robert Morris is visible docked in the background.

stereo788.gif

Its a stereograph that's been animated. Think I remember seeing this one on Chubachus's blog, is that where it came from?

Oh, I love animated stereographs, I wish more people would do them! I did some many years ago but I'm too disorganized to find them. The main trick I found when doing mine is that you have to thoroughly restore the picture first, because if there is a scratch or spot on one side and not the other, it sucks your eye to it and ruins the effect.

Seriously, anyone out there who wants a project, do more of these, I love them!

Make it stop!!!

Not a big fan of stereo "wiggles", would prefer to just see them as 3D stereo images. Much more interesting.

If you are interested in creating these type of effects, or the traditional 3D type of images (either as an anaglyph red/cyan glasses, or stereo card) you can use Stereo Photo Maker (free) that can be found here. The type of effect shown is listed as an "animated gif" and can be found under the file menu.

You should check out my restored and colorized Civil War stereo cards here. Viewed through a stereo viewer you can actually see the image as if you are in a 3D movie during the Civil War. :smile:

Of course I did that immediately. Thank you for hinting to your site!! Great pictures!
Before my eye surgery I was able to see the 3D effect even without a viewer, I could adjust the eyes in a way that both photos would overlap and then - bang - I saw them in 3D.
But now that doesn't work anymore. I can live without glasses now most of the time, but that ability was lost.

Of course I did that immediately. Thank you for hinting to your site!! Great pictures!
Before my eye surgery I was able to see the 3D effect even without a viewer, I could adjust the eyes in a way that both photos would overlap and then - bang - I saw them in 3D.
But now that doesn't work anymore. I can live without glasses now most of the time, but that ability was lost.

Sorry to hear that you lost the ability to free view 3D. For me, my vision is fine, but I have never been able to do this, I am always envious of those that can. I can cross view 3D images (put the left and right on opposite sides and then cross your eyes when looking at the image) and do this when I am working on 3D images all the time.

Two options for you to see 3D though, 1st anaglyph glasses, they work good and are great with B&W image (color ones are OK, but have problems with certain colors). To see them in side by side on the computer you might want to look at the Loreo Pixi Viewer here. They are $5.00 U.S. + $ 1.00 U.S. shipping (they do ship worldwide, not sure what Germany would be) the order page can be found here. My wife and I both keep one by our computer and use them almost daily to view 3D material on the computer.

Thank you, that sounds really good! I will look if either I can order them from the US (and run the risk of having to go to customs to clear them - had to do that the other day, it's a real drag. They only open during my own working hours, which means that I have to take some hours off ...) or maybe there is something similar here. Now that I need them, it sure will be a great thing to have them.

Thank you, that sounds really good! I will look if either I can order them from the US (and run the risk of having to go to customs to clear them - had to do that the other day, it's a real drag. They only open during my own working hours, which means that I have to take some hours off ...) or maybe there is something similar here. Now that I need them, it sure will be a great thing to have them.

If you order them direct from Loreo they come from Hong Kong, not the U.S. BTW, if you see them offered anywhere else make sure that you get the Pixi viewer. There is also a Loreo Lite (see here) that looks almost identical (and is a little cheaper) but is designed to view physical stereo cards (not ones on a monitor like the Pixi viewer). The Loreo Lite will NOT work on a monitor because the focal length requires the size of the screen to be no more than about 6-7 inches. The Pixi viewer works fine on my 23 inch monitor and should be OK on ones even a bit larger (may need to move back a little).

I did find the proper one on eBay in Germany for you here. They are a bit higher than ordering direct from Loreo, but would probably be faster since it does not have to be shipped from Hong Kong. The other nice thing with them would be that you don't have to worry about customs that way. :smile:

I do have a few of both in stock, but my shipping costs are much higher than Loreo's are. We used to carry them on our site, but most people are looking for ones for actual cards and we moved to the Owl Viewer (shown on our site here) for actual cards. This will also work well for tablets, but is not designed for computer screens.

The Pixi viewer is quick light and easy. You might not have too much trouble with customs as it folds flat and can ship in a regular letter envelope.

Can't thank you enough!!
I will definitely order it from eBay, because it is much less complicated that way. In fact my finger did already hover over the "Buy now" option, but ordering private stuff from my desk at work is forbidden, so I will have to wait until I will be home tonight. Really looking forward to getting it, thank you once again for all your help and effort!!

Last edited:
Can't thank you enough!!
I will definitely order it from eBay, because it is much less complicated that way. In fact my finger did already hover over the "Buy now" option, but ordering private stuff from my desk at work is forbidden, so I will have to wait until I will be home tonight. Really looking forward to getting it, thank you once again for all your help and effort!!

Ahh yes, shopping at work can be bad for ones career.:nah disagree: Your lucky that you can get to this site at work. Previously when I worked in an office they would block anything that was the least bit fun.

I'm sure you will like the viewer though, it is easy to use and great for viewing side by side 3D online.

Well, I'm lucky that librarians have to do research for customers all the time. Therefore I have to be on the internet the whole day ....
(and of course to practice my English).
Will order that viewer first thing this evening!

Well, I'm lucky that librarians have to do research for customers all the time. Therefore I have to be on the internet the whole day ....
(and of course to practice my English).
Will order that viewer first thing this evening!

We could go online, they just blocked anything non-business mostly. No personal email, no YouTube, etc.

Oh, I love animated stereographs, I wish more people would do them! I did some many years ago but I'm too disorganized to find them. The main trick I found when doing mine is that you have to thoroughly restore the picture first, because if there is a scratch or spot on one side and not the other, it sucks your eye to it and ruins the effect.

Seriously, anyone out there who wants a project, do more of these, I love them!

My blog and people on flickr have done the most of them anywhere online to my my knowledge.

Back