Longstreet Pencil Sketch of Longstreet

By coincidence, someone just posted a video clip of Stephen "Pickett" Lang at Gettysburg over the weekend, and her references Don Gallon's artwork. It's about 5 minutes in.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stephen-lang-makes-an-appearance.186675/
This might be a good spot to mention that for anyone who hasn't yet visited the Seminary Ridge Museum on the campus of Union Theological Seminary at Gettysburg, apart from being an outstanding museum, it features eight murals by Dale Gallon that portray historical themes related to the exhibits. For anyone who enjoys Civil War art, it's worth a visit to the museum to see Dale Gallon's paintings alone. (But based on our visit, I'd say that Mr. LoyaltyOfDogs and I would recommend planning to spend a good two hours--or more--viewing the displays and artifacts.)

Last edited:
Update:

I reached out to the seller... who informed me the sketch has been researched and confirmed to be authentic, and signed by Gallon in pencil. It was purchased from Gallon's gallery located in Gettysburg.
As far as I am aware, any print (reprint) of a piece like this would have a copy number with the total number of copies, similar to 6/100. It would be the sixth copy out of one hundred. You have a nice original showing the girth of a big man.
Lubliner.

What about the picture reminds you of Berenger? Just curious...
The overall cut of the uniform and mainly the floppy hat; of course the hat's not as oversized as the one Berenger wore and has been discussed here in the forums, but it's tending in that direction.

The overall cut of the uniform and mainly the floppy hat; of course the hat's not as oversized as the one Berenger wore and has been discussed here in the forums, but it's tending in that direction.
This drawing reminds me particularly of the reenactor who portrayed General Longstreet in the 1990s and early 2000s. Unfortunately I do not know his name.

1625957812150.png

1625958925592.png
1625959082038.png

J. Marshall,
Hernando, FL

Back