Pedersoli Lorenz 1854 rifle bayonet

tvthiele

Cadet
I just acquired the Pedersoli 1854 Lorenz reproduction. Could someone help me figure out where I could find a reproduction bayonet that would fit? I understand that the Pedersoli barrel diameter and front sight are just different enough from the original that an original Austrian bayonet would not fit well.
I'd also appreciate advice on where I could find a sling that would have been used on this weapon. Thanks!

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. As far as I know no one is making a reproduction for them. I could be mistaken but I swear I thought I heard someone say that either a reproduction Springfield or Enfield bayonet would fit it but don't remember which. Of course it wouldn't be right being they are 3 sided and a Lorenz was 4 but I think that's the best you can do till someone makes one. I've never had one in my hands and don't know anyone who has one so I may be wrong on that. You can go to an event and try a couple on and see if it fits before you buy one. As far as slings go I would think an Enfield sling would fit it but again I'd try one first. There just aren't many out there yet so nobody is making accessories.

My pleasure and welcome again to the forum. Are you a reenactor, live shooter, collector or all of the above?
I am a descendant of a number of Yankee veterans and a student of history. I use the Civil War--personalities and situations--frequently in teaching strategic planning. I am way too old to be a reenactor. I won the Lorenz in the Bentonville battlefield raffle so I guess i am now a collector!

I wonder if the bayonets for the Indian made Lorenz, could be modified to fit Pedersoli's repro.

Now I wonder if those bayonets resemble the originals in any way.

The problem with fitting a bayonet to the Pedersoli 1854 Lorenz isn't just the diameter of the barrel it is that the way they designed the front sight (which is removable for a taller sight blade). It creates a flat base on which the removable sight sits and that shape that is not conducive to a round socket bayonet twisting over the area of the barrel around the front sight. Ironically, period accounts detail soldiers having difficulty fitting their issued bayonets to the original Austrian rifle, too...although not for the same reason. As I recall the parts were numbered and no attempt was made to match the bayonets to the rifle with the same corresponding numbered parts. Also the M-54 Austrian Lorenz bayonet is 4-sided so even if you could fit a US model or Enfield bayonet, it would look all wrong.

Last edited:
Purely FYI, here is the response from Loyalist:
"Yes we do carry the 1854 Lorenz cruciform bayonet that fit our own model 1854 Lorenz musket.
Current price is $ 94.00 US/ $ 134.00 CDN. Shipping in addition.
If interested in a quote please email your zip code.
The Lorenz bayonets we have, average .805-815 ID.
They generally have a sloppy fit on the Pedersoli Lorenz.
Some people have modified the socket to make them fit better.
If you decide to order one from us, there is no return.
Hope this is helpful. Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks for your interest in our products."

The problem with fitting a bayonet to the Pedersoli 1854 Lorenz isn't just the diameter of the barrel it is that the way they designed the front sight (which is removable for a taller sight blade). It creates a flat base on which the removable sight sits and that shape that is not conducive to a round socket bayonet twisting over the area of the barrel around the front sight. Ironically, period accounts detail soldiers having difficulty fitting their issued bayonets to the original Austrian rifle, too...although not for the same reason. As I recall the parts were numbered and no attempt was made to match the bayonets to the rifle with the same corresponding numbered parts. Also the M-54 Austrian Lorenz bayonet is 4-sided so even if you could fit a US model or Enfield bayonet, it would look all wrong.

FYI I came across this seller: http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/socket_bayonets/(698_bay).htm

Back