Peanut Butter Brittle

7186676f5bf556ef9acf084b17a00ae2.jpg

The Davenport Hotel opened in Spokane, Washington in 1914 as a “place where guests could experience a singular combination of world-class service, palatial splendor, and inviting warmth.” While famous for its world class accommodations, the hotel also became world famous for its soft peanut brittle. It’s reminiscent of the center of a Butter Fingers bar, but with peanuts. This is the historic recipe for you to enjoy.

Peanut Butter Brittle

Ingredients:
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1/4 cup, plus 1 teaspoon water
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups peanuts raw or roasted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
In a double boiler heat the peanut butter, keeping it warm until needed.

In a large sauce pan combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1/4 cup of water.

Cook over high heat to 275°F, lower the heat to medium, add butter, stirring until melted. Add the peanuts and continue to stir until the candy starts turning brown and reaches 300°F ( about 5 minutes).

Remove from heat, stir in baking soda that has been dissolved in a teaspoon of water along with the vanilla. Working quickly, fold in the warm peanut butter until well blended.

Pour the candy onto a marble slab or greased cookie sheet spreading it 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Break into pieces after it has cooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
My great grandma used to get us peanut brittle from the Charles Chips man and caramel coated popcorn and potato chips in the big Charles Chips cans. Back in the days when they drove around the neighborhoods. Same with the Good Humor man in the white truck with the bells up front he jingled with the pull of his cord....

I have a friend who gives me a bag of peanut brittle every Christmas season. I told him I have to ration the stuff to myself, because I enjoy it so much. He said most of his recipients open the bag and never put it down until it's empty!

Back