Peaceful end of US slavery?

I know there's been threads of when and if the Confederacy would have gotten rid of slavery if successful, which it seems most speculation being between the turn of the century and WW2.

But assuming there was no CW, when would the US have ended slavery peacefully short of a war? Would it have been materially shorter then a successful Confederacy?

Assuming at some point the efforts to end the spread of slavery in territories was successfull......how long to there would be a 2/3rds majority willing to end slavery? Assuming a peaceful end would be compensated, would the cost alone have slowed the movement for abolition?

Rhea Cole

2nd Lieutenant
All you need to know on this subject is contained on the Slavery in the North website. <slavenorth.com> The general history of slavery in Northern colonial/states & histories of emancipation of individual states on this site is particularly good. The "Denying the Past" essay is worth a look. The history of emancipation in New York, which had more slaves than the rest of the Northern colonies put together, is a cautionary tale of just how complicated the process could have been. Slave-holders behaved like slave-holders where ever they happened to be. To expect otherwise is unreasonable. I found the bibliography very useful when researching my wife's Dutch slave-holding forefathers.

However I'm talking nationally as don't see how individual northern states would apply.....unless your implying it would have took a long time nationally.......

The individual states that did so, did so when slavery was no longer widespread, so little political opposition and the cost of compensation would be limited as well. They essentially waited for it to die naturally, before acting politically....... To have waited for the same to happen nationally, would seem to have been a long wait........

I somewhat agree to look at how/when individual states abolished slavery might be relevant to doing so nationally......but in such a comparison the conditions nationally was not anywhere like in the states that had done so.

Last edited:

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I had always assumed mechanization would have ended slavery. That would be around the 1930's or a little later. The fallout from the left over social issues would have been a huge problem among many others.
I think mechanization would have take a bit longer and I see slavery ending peacefully n the late 1950s to late 1960s. Slavery could have ended in the 1970s if slave owners were adverse to excepting federal money to free their slaves.