Pauline Mariah Clarke Mosby , Wife of Col. John Singleton Mosby

Pauline Clarke Mosby was born in Kentucky. She was the love of John's life. They had eight children. In the Spring of 1878 she died after the birth of their eighth child, leaving six children Two children had died. John Mosby never married again.

She has Memorial on Find a Grave:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6083013

Thanks very much Donna yet again! You're doing a super, super job making articles out of the photographs. It's a large project to undertake all at once, hopefully we can flesh these out even more, make something which would be helpful to some student who wished to have something to source if they came to CWT looking for help with a paper or project.

She another Kentucky lady. I try to find all born in Kentucky and keep notes on them. I do this for the men as well as the ladies. Kentucky has a long line of famous folks. If you live in a state or born in a state, I think you need to know as much about that state as you can. This means its history, its government and famous people and ordinary people who were born, lived and died in the state.

I also learn about New York as that is where I was born and my mother and many in her family were born.

http://civilwarwomenblog.com/pauline-mosby/

So- I was looking for a good source for Pauline. You know- early life, something about her experiences, who she WAS as a person, what she may have thought and felt, how she interaced with the world, that kind of thing? I thought some place called " Civil War Women Blog " would have exactly that. Right? Nope. It's a very long article, which begins with a sentence on Pauline, where she was born, who her father was THEN... gallops right into her husband. There are a few excerps of letters HE wrote to HER, that's it. Geesh.

Pauline was born March 30, 1837 in Frankfort, Ky. She was the daughter of Beverly Leonidas Clarke and Pauline Hopkins. They were a very devout Catholic family. She and her two sisters were all given first names that were some variant of Mary. These were purely baptisimal names and they all went by their middle names.

In 1856 Pauline was visiting friends in Howardsville, Virginia when she met John Mosby. When Pauline had to return to Ky. they corresponded and Mosby went to Ky. to visit her. They became engaged and married on Dec. 30, 1857 at a hotel in Nashville, Tn. Among the wedding guests were Senator and future president Andrew Johnson.

Pauline and John settled in Bristol. Their first child was born there in 1859 and their second child in 1860.

She tried to visit John during the war. Pauline suffered complications from her last pregnancy and died in March, 1876.

Some other information on Pauline Mosby:

She was a strong defender of her husband. She actually went to the White House to see President Johnson after the war to get pardon for John. Johnson was a family friend (her parents). Johnson refused. The pardon finally came through with the intervention of General Grant.

Pauline was a very devout Catholic and her headstone makes reference to this fact. Because of her influence two of her sister-in-laws converted to Catholicism and one, Florence became a nun.

The children of Pauline Mariah Clark and John Singleton Mosby were:

May Virginia Mosby (1858-1904).
Beverly Clarke Mosby (1860-1946).
John Singleton Mosby Jr. (1863-1915).
Victoria Stuart Mosby (1866-1946).
Pauline V. Mosby (1869-1951).
Ada C. Mosby (1871-1937).
George Prentiss Mosby (1873-1874).
Alfred McLaurine Mosby (born March 1876 and died June 1876).

Information on Pauline Mosby from:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/o/s/Michael-J-Mosby/WEBSITE-0001/UH...

Maybe because I have little information on some of my ancestresses, I have this need to know what was happening with other women during the ACW.

Do you know where Mrs. Mosby was during that period, Donna?

Pauline tried to visit her husband often during the war.

Examples:
When John was in winter camp near Gainesville, she came to visit and stayed in a boarding house with other officer's wives.

After he became established in Northern Virginia, she came to visit again, this time for longer. The Mosby's boarded at the home of James Hathaway, near Rectortown. It was here the famous incident occurred of Yankees coming to look for Mosby and he took refuge in tree outside their bedroom window.

A third child, John Singleton Mosby, Jr. was born during the war.

She was always a strong defender of her husband and was very instrumental in getting his pardon.

18th Virginia hope these facts help answer your questions of where Pauline Mosby was during the war.

Saw thread on photos of John Mosby brought up so thought bring g this one on his beloved wife up again. As I wrote before like to know about wives and other family members of many famous during the Civil War.

Back