1877 – 1878: Louisiana State Adjutant General​
1878 – 1880: Mayor of New Orleans, Louisiana​
1880 – 1890: City Treasurer of New Orleans, Louisiana​

Died: February 9, 1890

Place of Death: New Orleans, Louisiana

Age at time of Death: 62 years old

Burial Place: Lafayette Cemetery No. 1, New Orleans, Louisiana

Last edited by a moderator:
I was aware that there were three Patton brothers who made colonel,George, John Jr., and Waller.Apparrently there was a fourth colonel Patton. All, including Isaac, were sons of John Mercer Patton of Virginia.

I don't know the details of how he did it but as mayor of New Orleans he reduced the city debt by 50%.

Before joining the 22nd Louisiana he was a colonel of the 21st Louisiana but it was consolidated into the 22nd. Before that he was captain in the unit known as the Screwman's Guard.

I was aware that there were three Patton brothers who made colonel,George, John Jr., and Waller.Apparrently there was a fourth colonel Patton. All, including Isaac, were sons of John Mercer Patton of Virginia.
The sons of John M. Patton were Colonels George (22nd Virginia, Isaac (21st Louisiana and 22nd Louisiana Consolidated), Waller (7th Virginia) and John Patton, Jr. (21st Virginia) As well as Lt James French Patton (22nd Virginia), Lt Hugh Mercer Patton (22nd Virginia and the Staff of General John R. Cooke) and VMI sergeant William M. Patton. Isaac, John, James, Hugh and William would survive the war. Waller and George would be killed at Gettysburg and 3rd Winchester.

Is there really a differance between merged and consolidated?

This makes for an interesting semantical distinction.

In general usage:

'Merge' is to combine.

'Consolidate' is to strengthen.

Both words are similar and can be used interchangeably, although not entirely.

With a 'merger', two or more existing entities join together to become a combined entity.

With a 'consolidation', two or more existing entities unite to form a stronger new entity. For consolidation, unlike merger, the joining entities cease to exist (there is a new entity, after the consolidation).

I guess the same distinction can be applied to combining military units, like regiments (the entities), together.

Isaac Williams Patton
:CSA1stNat:View attachment 395182

Born: February 4, 1828

Birthplace: Fredericksburg Virginia

Father: John Mercer Patton 1797 – 1858
(Buried: Shockoe Hill Cemetery Richmond Virginia)

Mother: Margaret French Williams 1804 – 1873
(Buried: Shockoe Hill Cemetery Richmond Virginia)

Wife: Frances E. Merritt 1830 – 1916
(Buried: Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 New Orleans Louisiana)

Children:

George Tazewell Patton 1864 – 1918
(Buried: Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 New Orleans Louisiana)

Education:

Attended Fairfax Institute

Occupation before War:

1847 – 1855: Served in the United States Army rising to rank of Lt.

Cotton and Sugar Plantations Owner in New Orleans Louisiana

Civil War Career:
1861 – 1862: Captain Company F 22nd​ Louisiana Infantry Regiment
1862: Appointed Major and Brigade Quartermaster (March 9, 1862)
1862: Declined appointment as Major & Quartermaster (July 4, 1862)
1862 – 1864: Colonel of 22nd​ Louisiana Infantry Regiment
1863: Wounded in hip during the Siege of Vicksburg Mississippi
1863: Captured & Exchanged at Vicksburg Mississippi
1864 – 1865: Colonel of 22nd​ Louisiana Consolidated Infantry Regiment
1864 – 1865: Served in the Confederate Garrison at Mobile Alabama
1865: Paroled by the Union Army on May 9, 1865 in Meridian

Occupation after War:
Commission Merchant in New Orleans Louisiana
1877 – 1878: Louisiana State Adjutant General
1878 – 1880: Mayor of New Orleans Louisiana
1880 – 1890: City Treasurer of New Orleans Louisiana

Died:
February 9, 1890
Place of Death: New Orleans Louisiana
Age at time of Death: 62 years old
Burial Place: Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 New Orleans Louisiana
Rob, an image of Col. Patton is in the New Orleans Times Picayune, 2-10-1890.
I'll get that book plate off to you today.

I get the 21st and 22nd Confused constantly (I believe one of them was often numberred as the other). Yeah must have been the 21st.
Like you and most everyone else, I have found these 2 units very confusing.

You might be pleased, or even further confused, but I am including my attempt to trace I W Patton.

Tracing Major/Col I W Patton

23rd ​afterward-22nd La-composed chiefly of Arty…
# of Regt probably changed to 22nd….in 1863
Originally organized Jan 62-reorganized May 2[5]? 1862
Theard-Col
W S Lovell-Lt Col
I W Patton-Major-did not…accept

4/17 Capt Patton, 23rd​ La, apptd Maj of 23rd​ La to rank 3/9—declined

May 62-Purves [Sr Capt at the time] says Regt very much broken up as New Orleans was falling & only 5 Co's were united at Camp Moore & Lt Col Higgins was a prisoner. An election was determined upon at Camp Moore over my objections since only 5 Co's present. The order for election was issued in Gen Lovell's absence & without his knowledge. Patton elected Col-Plattsmeier to Lt Col & Robertson as Major. On Lovell's return, he quashed the entire proceedings. When Higgins was exchanged, he was apptd Col of 22nd​ La to date from 4/11 which was the date of Smith's promotion to general. I rec'd my apptmt as Major to rank from that date. Ivy was afterwards apptd Lt Col of Arty. Upon some representations made to the War Dept, this arrangement as it pertains to Higgins & I was changed & an order has made Col Patton, Lt Col Plattsmeir & Major Robertson as field officers.
I represent to the War Dept that the Camp Moore election was illegal [& gives the reasons] & ask to be restored as Major.

The Regt has always been known as the 22nd​ but Higgins, Ivy & I were commissioned as of the 21st​-some mistake having occurred in numbering when the Regt was first formed.
Signed Purves, Major 21st​ La

Capt Jones to Maj Palfrey AG-Richmond-last Feb [1862], Lovell caused unattached Co's to be organized into a Regt to be known as 23rd​ La-apptd at that time were Theard Col, Lovell-Lt Col, I W Patton-Major. The latter did not accept. Some of the Co's were mustered in for the war & some for 12 mos. My Co was org for the war & I was Sr Capt & stationed at Ft Jackson. Only 3 Co's of the Regt reported to Gen Lovell at Camp Moore.

5/12/62 Patton apptd Maj & QM 7/16 to report to M L Smith- Rank to date from 5/12
5/18-7/27 Patton mentioned by Gen M L Smith as his Bgde QM
8/22 Patton signs as Maj & QM of 3rd​ Bgde

8/25/62 Jackson, Gen Lovell to Van Dorn-while in command of Dept #1, I ordered Col Theard 23rd​ La to move his men from Ft Livingston to Vicksburg simultaneous with evacuation of New Orleans. Haven't heard from him or his command since, but have a report from him stating he tried to bring his men to me but they dispersed over New Orleans where he followed them & has remained there since. He concludes his report with his resignation which I think should be accepted & advance the remaining field officers 1 rank:
Lt Col Lovell to Col
Maj Patton to Lt Col
The Co officers who returned & remain in New Orleans to be named deserters.
10/14/62 Holly Springs, Army of the West-Van Dorn approves the recommendation

10/6/62 Higgins applies to Gen Ruggles for the 22nd​ La [afterward becomes 21st La Patton] to be put under his immediate command. By order of S O #59, I am ordered to take charge of reorganizing my Regt & reassemble all the officers & men

11/1/62 Richmond-J W Patton states that per orders from Hqs 5 Co's of 22nd​ La then at Camp Moore reorganized by electing me as Col. Gen Lovell pronounced this election void due to lack of sufficient Co's present for the election.

11/1/62 Patton signs as Maj & QM of [Smith's]3rd​ Bgde & applies to be Col of Arty

11/1/62 Richmond, in 1861 a number of independent Co's were called into service for 12 months by the Governor to defend La & manned the posts & Btrys thereof. Before the expiration of their service, the Sec of War ordered them consolidated into Regts & field officers appointed by the Sec on Lovell's recommendation-these Co's composed the 22nd​ [now the 21st​] & the 23rd​ Regts of La Vols, though the Co's never came together as Regts.
After the evacuation of N O, 5 Co's of the 22nd​ arrived at Camp Moore & acting on Dept orders went into reorganization & elected their Co officers, who in turn elected field officers & I [Higgins] was chosen as Col of the Regt but Lovell pronounced this election illegal. At that time, Maj E A Palfrey was Lovell's Adjt & is no doubt well aware of the details. I request the decision of the Sec.
Three of the missing Co's were captured at Fort Jackson & none of the men & but 3 officers reported at Vicksburg up to 10/24. The other Co's dispersed in N O & none have reported but 8-10 men & 2 of the officers.

11/7/62 Richmond, Paul Theard, Col 23rd​ La to Sec of War-You now have Pemberton's communication recommending disbanding the 23rd​ La distributing rank & file among the other La Regts. I would like to add the following:
The Regt has always been known & designated as the 23rd​ although the War Dept shows it as the 22nd​. I do not know what caused this error.
It was formed of 10 Co's mustered separately for different service; 4 were originally Infy.
Their terms of service also were different
They were consolidated into 1 Regt of Hvy Arty I stationed at various points at the evacuation of N O.
A-B-C & D preferred to march out of the state & I was unable to prevent their disbursement
I was captured at Fort Jackson
G & H revolted in Bayou Lafourche-Lt Marks with 5 or 6 men made it to Camp Moore.
E-H & K much reduced by desertion reached Vicksburg.

These 3 were formed into a dtchmt & attchd to the 1st​ La Arty where they are yet & have done noble service.
Lt Col Lovell has always been on dtchd service generally in the ord. Dept
Maj I Patton has been in the QM service

11/25/62 Vicksburg, Hqs 22nd​ La Regt-Higgins to Gen Cooper-protesting against Maj Patton's claim to be Col, & to the Sec of War's agreement with Patton. Gives several reasons why, including-
The order for the election was issued in the absence of Gen Lovell & without his knowledge or consent & that the pretend election was annulled by Lovell on his return
5 Co's do not have the right to elect a Col & Lt Col

11/26/62 Patton applied to Gen M L Smith to be placed in command of the 21st​ La of which he had been elected Col & now claimed by Col Higgins-Patton signs as Maj AQM

11/28/62 protest against the election of Maj J W Patton

12/9/62 Maj Patton to Sec of War stating that on 11/26 he had applied to Gen Smith to be Col of 21st La-to the Colonelcy he has been elected & now claimed by Col Higgins cdg the Regt.-Patton signs as Maj AQM, 3rd ​Bgde

12/13 Gen Pemberton determined that [when exchanged from prison] Col Higgins had superior claims to be Col of the Regt & referred the matter to Seddon, who decided he had no grounds to reverse the decision of Sec of War. [See 11/8]

12/14/62 Fort Hill- S Jones to Maj Palfrey, AG Richmond-last Feb, Lovell caused unattached Co's to be organized into a Regt to be known as 23rd​ La-apptd at that time were Theard Col, Lovell-Lt Col, I W Patton-Major. The latter did not accept. Some of the Co's were mustered in for the war & some for 12 mos. My Co was org for the war & I was Sr Capt & stationed at Ft Jackson. Only 3 Co's of the Regt reported to Gen Lovell at Camp Moore.

In May, & in the absence of Lovell, Col Fuller ordered an election of field officers of the 23rd​ La Regt. Only 3 Co's & 9 officers represented the Regt & some of the officers refused to vote with less than the full Regt. Elected were:
Herrick-Col
Tissot-Lt Col
No Major

On Gen Lovell's return he ordered the election annulled on grounds that a majority of Co's were not represented. Capt Tissot subsequently resigned from the service. I was not present at the election, being a prisoner on parole.

The decision of the Sec of War under date of 12th​ ult in the case of Col I W Patton confirming his election to the command of the 22nd​ La Regt did not make a precedent in the case of the 23rd​ as in the 22nd​. I understand a majority of the Co's were represented but not so in the case of the 23rd​. I protest the election being in violation of my rights as Sr Capt. I understand Col Theard has been dropped from the service for cause & that Lt Col Lovell has resigned to take another appointment, thus leaving the Regt with no field officers.

I am now in command of it & in command of a Btry of Hvy Arty in the defense of Vicksburg. By a recent exchange of prisoners from New Orleans, parts of 7 Co's including 11 officers & 66 enlisted have been added to it, & all the men combined into 3 Co's for the sake of efficiency.

Therefore, I request to be commissioned as Col of the Regt to rank from the date of Lt Col Lovell's resignation. I ask for an order on the conscript camps for 950 men to fill up the ranks of the different Co's

12/27/62 Patton signs as Maj & QM of 3rd​ Bgde

12/29/62 Gen Cooper to Pemberton-In reply to a communication from Maj Patton relative to his election to Col of the 21st La [now commanded by Col Higgins] I am directed by the Sec of War to say that he can see no sufficient grounds to rescind the decision of the late Sec of War which sanctioned the validity of the election as it appeared to him that the Regt had not been disbanded, & that all were present who could be assembled, including a majority of the officers.

1/30/63 Pemberton telegraphs War Dept-It is a matter of great importance that Col Higgins 22nd​ La, be retained in command of the Hvy Arty at Snyder's Mills-by electing, he has been superseded-should have commission of Col

2/1/63 Snyder's Hill, Col Higgins late Col cdg 22nd​ La Regt to President-appealing a decision by Sec of War regarding an election in his late Regt by which he & other officers were deprived of their positions. Alleges that Lovell & Pemberton hold the election to have been illegal-that is the pretended election of Col Patton 22nd​ La-my Regt. Enclosed is my protest to the Sec of War in Nov last, to he has not had the courtesy to respond.
In addition to the other reasons for it to be invalid, it was ordered held not by the Maj Gen cdg but by his AAG in violation of the regulations

2/2 Pemberton to AG-Higgins' commission to enable him to command should go back to date of original commission dtd 4/11/62.
2/3/63 AG Cooper to Pemberton-Higgins apptd Col of Arty to rank from 4/7/62
2/3/63 Cooper to Pemberton-Col Higgins apptd Col of Arty to rank from 4/11 last-Commission to be sent upon senate confirmation

2/5/63 Patton reference as Maj & QM

2/13/63 Vicksburg-Purves to Sec of War--In May 62-Purves [Sr Capt at the time] says Regt very much broken up as New Orleans was falling & only 5 Co's were united at Camp Moore & Lt Col Higgins was a prisoner. An election was determined upon at Camp Moore over my objections since only 5 Co's present. The order for election was issued in Gen Lovell's absence & without his knowledge. Patton elected Col-Plattsmeier to Lt Col & Robertson as Major. On Lovell's return, he quashed the entire proceedings. When Higgins was exchanged, he was apptd Col of 22nd​ La to date from 4/11 which was the date of Smith's promotion to Gen. I rec'd my apptmt as Major to rank from that date. Ivy was afterwards apptd Lt Col of Arty. Upon some representations made to the War Dept, this arrangement as it pertains to Higgins & I was changed & an order has made Col Patton, Lt Col Plattsmeier & Major Robertson as field officers.
I represent to the War Dept that the Camp Moore election was illegal [& gives the reasons] & ask to be restored as Major.
The Regt has always been known as the 22nd​ but Higgins, Ivy & I were commissioned as of the 21st​-some mistake having occurred in numbering when the Regt was first formed.
Signed Purves, Major 21st​ La

3/1/63 Col Patton, 21st​ La signs for spurs at Vicksburg

4/1/63 Col Patton, 21st​ La, signs for forage at Snyder's Mills

4/4/63 Patton rec'd appointment [election] as Col of the Regt to date from 5/12/62
4/4 appointed Col 22nd​ aka 21st La to rank from 5/15/62-no record found of when he actually entered on duty

5/19-7/4/63 Col Patton was wounded at the siege of Vicksburg while in command of his Regt in Hebert's Bgde.

8/15/63 Patton applies for his Regt to be transferred west of the Ms River, & that he will be ready for duty when he is exchanged in about 2 weeks.

8/31 Col Patton ordered to report to K Smith for assignment to duty when exchanged

9/26/63 Col Patton signs for saddle at Mobile

10/26/63 Shreveport, Gen Allen recommends his friend Col Patton of the 22nd​ La for promotion who is bearing this letter to Richmond. He has supported Gen Smith at this place, but finding nothing to do here…back to Mobile. I know of no man in the army more deserving or qualified to command a Bgde.

8/19/64 Lt Col Pemberton recommends Patton for Brig Gen

Back